Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Any information welcome!

Hi guys

I moved into a 1930s house last year and the previous owners left a safe in the garage. It's locked, I don't have a key for it and there is something so intriguing about it. I've not been able to find anything on the internet about the makers (S Griffiths and Sons from Heath Town, Wolverhampton). I can see it's been painted white and the original colour underneath is black and green with a 'gold' line. Could anyone tell me how old they think it is and what it would have been used for? Any information is welcome!

Thanks,
    Ruth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe1.jpg   safe2.jpg   safe3.jpg  

Default Re: Any information welcome!

Hi Ruth

Did you receive my e-mail.

Your safe might have a riveted seam on the underneath. Could you advise.
    Guestimated age of your safe is around 1910-1925.

Regards
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth
    Hi guys

I moved into a 1930s house last year and the previous owners left a safe in the garage. It's locked, I don't have a key for it and there is something so intriguing about it. I've not been able to find anything on the internet about the makers (S Griffiths and Sons from Heath Town, Wolverhampton). I can see it's been painted white and the original colour underneath is black and green with a 'gold' line. Could anyone tell me how old they think it is and what it would have been used for? Any information is welcome!

Thanks,
    Ruth

Default Re: Any information welcome!

Hi Russell - thanks for the info. There isn't a riveted seam.

Thread Information