Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yale Lock

Default Yale Lock

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and would like to try to find a wheel pack for my Remington Rand safe cabinet. The safe is in otherwise good condition but I need a wheel pack for it. It is an old safe and I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction as to where to find old parts? Thanks,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	8245 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	8244 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	8246

I did some repairs to one of those recently, unfortunately no pictures. You might consider having the back plate made up with a Yale wheel pack installed. I have one with a S&G lock but I am pretty sure it would be easier to use what you have and make the plate. Doug

Thanks for the help. I am sorry I am a rookie on repairing safes. I just like to collect them and get them repaired. Where can I find those parts? Is there an online store or dealer that has that stuff? I would like to repair this safe the most effective way so if buying a new S&G is the best way then I can do that. I would like to save as much $ as possible too. Thanks for the help.

It is not as simple as just buying a new lock. Those haven't been made for a long time. And finding the correct parts for yours will be a search, maybe a long search. So I don't think any route you take will be cheap. Doug

Thanks Doug, is there any good websites to start? I understand it will not be cheap but it is a 4500 pound safe and I would like to use it. I picked it up for a reasonable price at a local salvage lot and if I could stay under $300 on repairs I would be a happy camper. Thanks Doug.

What you are missing is a 3 wheel version curb for a 072-1/2 with the curb being made specifically for this lock. The curb is what the wheel post is attached to. The round back curb plate will have two large half moon cutouts. If you can't find one, one can be made using an existing wheel post and wheels from a more common Yale lock. Doug

Thanks for the information Doug. I have been googling this part and no luck yet. Is there a website or place online that has a lot of old parts like this? How can I get the specs to get a part made for me? I know some machinists that might be willing to help be do this but I will need to get the specs? Thanks again Doug

Default Yale lock

I recently purchased an old remington rand two door tall safe cabinet and found out that the locking mechanism is gone from inside the door. The handles are there and the combination wheel. Any ideas?

Do you want to restore it as it was originally, or do you just want to make it secure?

I would like to restore to original first option. However if not available then I would like to make secure. I want to use it as a safe.

Thread Information