Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Ingersoll Locks

Default Ingersoll Locks

Ingersolls patent (641072 - Ingersoll Ltd, L W Young & J W Taylor. - Improvements in Plug and Cylinder Type Mechanism) of 1946 was the first of many Ingersoll patents relating to key operated locks and represented a new post war direction.

Key registration was a feature which was seen as both a security enhacement and a marketing advantage perfectly complimenting each other. However the means of producing the key differs was a very closly guarded secret from the very begining. Even today the replacement key business is not insignificant.

Jack Taylor put in place a number of safeguards, one internal memo that was issued in 1946:-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	memo-1946-visitors.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	8203

Ingersoll is a particularly interesting company to us, the archives contain a huge amount of material collected over the years, documents, drawings and artefacts etc. which we can draw on to explore and illustrate the company history in response to the discussions in this thread.

The corresponding US patent is 2,524,339. A later/related US patent is 2,729,091.

Thank you Brian and wylk for providing us with the patent numbers!
    I was searching for these for quite some time now

Brian, I recognised the number that leads to another area.

The link is somehow broken as it tells me that I do not have permission to see its content.
    I will look into these patents more in detail within the next week.

Thread Information