Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Master No.19

Quote Originally Posted by monkey222 View Post
    Thank you PSchiffe. I did see that model on ebay. Looks like it ships from UK.
    My question: shackle dia is 8mm. I am just learning about locks but that seems kind of small compared to master 19 at 17/32 inches. Can you educate me on how an 8mm for this Abus rates in terms if being able to be cut with bolt cutters.
    I am new to this forum and just looking at tbe humongous 19 padlock diameter. Is the Abys shackle special metal? Thanks!
    Good question, the 83WBIB/53 Submariner has an 8mm stainless shackle which is about 5/16" dia. together with a 57mm body which is about 2" wide. The 83WP/63 eXtreme has an 11mm hardened special alloy steel shackle which is about 7/16" dia. with a 65mm body, about 2-1/2" wide. Your point is well taken, I'm guessing the 11mm would likely be more resistant to cutting than the 8mm version, regardless of alloy material. I believe Amazon.com and others have 83WBIB/53 that ship from this side of the pond.

Pete Schifferli

Thank you for the feedback. So in terms of bolt cutting, hardened steel or alloy wins over stainless, and bigger dia is better if cutting is the enemy, correct?

Monkey, I just want to throw my 2 cents in. The padlock is only as good as what it's attached to. I don't know what your locking or how, but if using chain, usually a chain link is fairly easy to cut with a bolt cutter. If your using a hasp, make sure one can't pry it off the door or frame. Also if using a hasp, how big and strong is it (can it be cut easily) ? I'm always amazed at what some people call secure. Unless you are going to use that #19 in a salty or acidic environment, I believe it will hold up quite nicely,as it's made for outdoor use as is. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Quote Originally Posted by monkey222 View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. So in terms of bolt cutting, hardened steel or alloy wins over stainless, and bigger dia is better if cutting is the enemy, correct?
    I'm not sure that hardened steel trumps stainless, I guess that would need to be tested under laboratory conditions. I can tell you that Abus' resistance to bolt cutters is legendary. I recall some years ago the fire department asking a local locksmith to stop selling them because they couldn't be cut with their 48" bolt cutters! I don't recall which model or shackle diameter they were referring to. I will say I believe that the contemporary Abus 7/16" diameter is likely more cutter-resistant than Master 's old 17/32" as found on their No. 19. My two cents.

Pete Schifferli

actually if one wants to get right down to it, most thieves won't waste their time picking a lock or use a bolt cutter to cut the shackle, but will instead use a pry bar to force an entry. That being said, if your concerned with the shackle hardness, why not go with a lease expensive padlock with a shrouded shackle ? The shroud was designed for that purpose in mind, keeping someone from using a bolt cutter to cut the shackle. Lots of ideas out there for you to think about. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Red face

You are all so helpful. I very much appreciate it. Funny, in the last 3 weeks, I have spoken to MLock via phone (where I started my quest looking for another 19), at which point I was directed to the shrouded ones, only to find youtubes on how to pick.them in less than a minute.

So I started hasp hunting...not very abundant for 17/32 in local stores. Called Mlock..said they were made in China now and could not attest to their strength or anything else about them. Ok, so I managed to find new old packaging on ebay..706d...made in US.

Changed out as many screws for weird security type ones on door hinges and on cheap pre installed lock.handle.

It is so disparaging to see lock picking youtubes. The inners of locks are amazing pieces of art I think. But seeing security torn apart...wow.
    Yes, old fashioned pry bars are prob the enemy.

Thank you for Abus fireman story. I shall find one ( Abus or fireman)

Abus makes some very good padlocks, chain and hasps. Their chain is hard stuff.... have to use a high speed cutter to even touch it, it laughs at hacksaws. Pick resistance is good. Just my opinion.

Hello, Thank you for the Abus information. Sounds like an excellent lock. I am so glad I found this forum!

Thread Information