Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Master No.19

Quote Originally Posted by Retro00064 View Post
    Thanks for the drainage system patent. I never knew that Master started making locks with such a feature before, and learned something new from this thread! I looked at some of my locks and it seems that other Master padlocks were made with the drainage system too: my circa 1960s Master "Super Security" #81 (their first padlock to have a 5 pin cylinder, I believe; any knowledge of what year that one was introduced, BBE? :-), a circa 1980s #15 (of a similar vintage to your #19), and some other standard pin tumbler models from the 1970s to the 1990s have a small hole at the bottom of the receptacle for the shackle toe in the lock bodies (clogged up with dirt in the more heavily weathered ones), which may be a drain hole, while some 1990s #5 padlocks of mine have a huge hole.
    I don't seem to have any dating info on the 81, but the 15 was introduced in 1968.
    BBE.

I was also guessing that mine is from the 80s.

I did however not buy this one! It was a gift from a good friend that lives in Canada :)
    Very generous and nice guy!

He is also a member here and actually posted in this thread (Alaphablue)
    I still have to find some nice DOM cylinders for him

Question

Hello Adrian #19 expert,

I am the proud owner of an original 19 purchased circa 2005 in US.

I am pleased to say that I just snagged a another beauty on ebay. I want to use this one for outdoor use. Would it harm the lock if I tried to weatherproof it with some type of latex spray? Overcovering, rubber or foam type? Any recommendations? It is so pretty and new and hard to find.....looks too good to leave outside.

Thank you! Advice appreciated. And how do you oil it? 3 in 1 oil? Would sewing machine oil work?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    I was always technical information and designing key systems and as such made a point of not knowing prices. I would guess $20-$25, but that is just a guess. There is unlikely to be any difference between the first one produced in 1976 and the last one produced in 2000 as the die wouldn't have worn enough to need to be replaced.
    BBE.
    I purchased my first 19 new from local hardware store in upstate NY. They ordered it from a shipyard supply store...was told that it was out of production then. I think I paid about 60 to 70 $ and then keys were ordered.

Just bought a very very slightly used beauty from ebay for 65$ including ship
    with box. I feel like I won the lottery. Doing the Mambo #19 today

Hey man!

Glad you got your own No.19 it is a real beauty

If I were you I would keep the new one as a collectors item and get a sturdy weather proof Anchor Las padlock for outdoor usage! They are the best padlock manufacturer I know of and VERY secure. Or lets say one of the best ones at least.

Even if you cover the laminations in epoxy, the weather and water etc. will come through one day. Remember that you are dealing with a zinc plated raw steel lock and not a stainless steel + brass padlock. If you would buy a mid sized Anchor Las Grade 3 padlock with brass body and stainless steel shackle for example, that lock would be PERFECT for a shed and outdoor applications. Not too big but also not too small and 100% weather resistance!

All the best,

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    Hey man!
    Glad you got your own No.19 it is a real beauty
    If I were you I would keep the new one as a collectors item and get a sturdy weather proof Anchor Las padlock for outdoor usage! They are the best padlock manufacturer I know of and VERY secure. Or lets say one of the best ones at least.
    Even if you cover the laminations in epoxy, the weather and water etc. will come through one day. Remember that you are dealing with a zinc plated raw steel lock and not a stainless steel + brass padlock. If you would buy a mid sized Anchor Las Grade 3 padlock with brass body and stainless steel shackle for example, that lock would be PERFECT for a shed and outdoor applications. Not too big but also not too small and 100% weather resistance!
    All the best,Adrian
    I'm not familiar with the Anchor Las padlock suggested by Adrian, likely not something readily available in the US. I can recommend one that would be highly suitable and that is the Abus 83WP/63 S2 weather proof eXtreme series:

• 2-1/2" wide solid steel body with Nano Protect chrome plating, ideal for harsh outdoor conditions
    • 7/16" dia. hardened special alloy shackle with Nano Protect for extra corrosion and cutting resistance
    • durable weather cover with drainage system protects from water, ice, dirt and grime
    • MSRP is $33.00, available from many US distributors
    • patented "Z-bar" for 2-in-1 function; converts key-retaining to non key-retaining and vice versa within seconds
    • cylinder can be re-keyed into many popular keyways, accepts most all 99-type universal KiK cylinders
    • see image here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mBeNX5xgy2pi86tzn-agEXg.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	12539

Pete Schifferli

Anchor Las is a very decent company from Sweden. Your suggestion is also not bad but in this case I would go for the Blue one the Abus 83WBIP/53. It has a stainless steel shackle and I do have like 5 of them here. International shipping is no problem

A nice padlock Abus made there!

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    Anchor Las is a very decent company from Sweden. Your suggestion is also not bad but in this case I would go for the Blue one the Abus 83WBIP/53. It has a stainless steel shackle and I do have like 5 of them here. International shipping is no problem A nice padlock Abus made there! Adrian
    I agree Adrian, the 83WIP/53 features a chrome-plated brass body, stainless steel shackle as well as shackle seals; unfortunately that Submariner model is not stocked by Abus USA LLC in Phoenix, Arizona although it is available from other sources; see image attached. Curiously it is offered for sale by the trade in Canada, see image attached:
    lockgif 1
    Pete Schifferli

Thank you PSchiffe. I did see that model on ebay. Looks like it ships from UK.
    My question: shackle dia is 8mm. I am just learning about locks but that seems kind of small compared to master 19 at 17/32 inches. Can you educate me on how an 8mm for this Abus rates in terms if being able to be cut with bolt cutters.

I am new to this forum and just looking at tbe humongous 19 padlock diameter. Is the Abys shackle special metal?

Thanks!

Thread Information