Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Identify Tabernacle Lock

Double bladed barrel key that appears to have pin tumblers, not levers. It looks European to me and could be pre-WWII. Any ideas? Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tabernacle & Key style 001.jpg   Tabernacle & Key style 002.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Double bladed barrel key that appears to have pin tumblers, not levers. It looks European to me and could be pre-WWII. Any ideas? Doug
    It is my understanding that many of these were and are hand-made in Italy and that may apply to the lock as well. Perhaps someone else has more info.

Pete Schifferli

The tabernacle at my church (Catholic) uses a "Fichet" style key. I asked our priest if I could see the key and how it operates, as he knows I'm a locksmith. He showed it to me and I inserted it and opened the tabernacle. It is a pretty impressive system, 1/2 half turn opens the double outer doors, then the double inner doors. The doors are curved and the whole system operates on a smooth gear and track system. Unfortunately there are no names or numbers on the key or lock. The tabernacle is at least as old as the church which was built in the late 50's after the old church burnt down, but I'm not sure if it was new then or from some other church. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

I know that Kromer also made Tabernacle locks once upon a time. These were small Protector locks but without the angled cuts on them. This one in your picture looks like a different one though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.Kromer Tabernacle Lock.jpg  

Thanks for the input. I have worked on a few of these but they used Yale locks. Here is a key from a similar tabernacle. Anybody recognize the make?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0726.JPG   DSCN0733.JPG  

I am reminded now I never posted the finished key. After the fact, I realized I could have sand cast the bow of the other key. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0866.jpg  

Nice job Doug- looks like stainless? Nice idea for the cross shaped bow as well

Brass bow, mild steel shank and brass blades. Thanks

Brass!! I need to get glasses as it looks silver to me! that's why I thought you'd used stainless to fabricate the cross

It is probably because the brass is so much lighter than the tabernacle which I imagine is gold plated brass/ bronze. Speaking of silver, I have noticed that the term "silver steel" is used in England. Why is that? Doug

Thread Information