Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default what do you call a padlock that takes 2 keys to open

Hi team, I have a padlock that will open with either of 2 keys,one is marked "master" & the other is marked "change"...Am I correct to call this a BICENTRIC lock?
    I AM LOOKING FOR A LOCK THAT TAKES 2 KEY'S TO OPEN IT>>

What is THAT lock referred to in name.....for my search?..........thank you, Donnie

A bicentric lock has two keyholes - each keyhole has a different key and either key, in it's own keyhole, will open the lock.
    A masterkeyed lock has one keyhole but two differnt keys can open the lock.

Default what do you call a padlock that takes 2 key's to open ?

Did Yale not make a padlock that takes 2 keys to open it ? Sort of like a safe deposit box?
    Maybe I'm wrong in my thought process'....but I thought that they did...Donnie

Tom, thanks for your response

You can see that it would be difficult to use both keys at the same time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yale Bicentric Mortise Cylinder.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	7970

Default what do you call a padlock that takes 2 key's to open ?

Tom, I can see that it would be difficult to turn both key's at the same time, but you could turn 1 & then the other, not at the same time...I guess I must be mistaken....
    I'm not sure where I got this notion from, but you are telling me that no such lock exists or ever did, correct?

The 2 types that you mentioned are the only styles made....yes???
    I ask because a friend has a lock with 2 keyway's & no keys
    This is then a bicentric lock like I already have, and his lock can then be opened with 1 key from either keyway, correct?
    His lock is older than mine(trefoil) before 1928 as I understand..that is why I like it, but it may be to costly to have key's made for it......I'm a collector & not a locksmith
    Thank you for reading my post & answering my question's........Donnie

I havent seen a whacking great padlock that needed both keys turned at the same time, but there are more padlocks used in America than over here and maybe there is a government or financial institution that decided it wanted to set up a system where it employed two keyholders who were required to be there in order to operate a low security lock like a padlock (which by definition cannot be as secure as a mortice lock.)
    The right locksmith could read the mechanism by eye and cut the key to code or impression keys.

The bicentric padlocks were apparently made in two versions, one for masterkeyed applications where either key would open the padlock. The other, which is exceedingly rare; was for dual custody situations where both keys were required to open the lock. See this thread for more:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...entric-padlock

Pete Schifferli

Isn't the bicentric padlock explained in the padlock handbook?
    I am not sure though but will take a look as soon as I am home again withing the next days :)

Some two-key locks/padlocks require both keys to operate, such as most safe deposit locks. I think this is called "dual custody" or even "dependent dual custody." Another example would be a vault door where both locks must be operated to open the door.

Some two-key locks/padlocks will operate with one or the other key. I've seen this called "independent dual custody" and "multiple custody." Vault doors can often be set up so that either lock will open it (and per prior discussion, three or more locks can be configured for a variety of opening requirements). TSA luggage locks also are in this category.

Bicentric might be a trade name that belongs to Yale, rather than a generic term. I believe some Yales can be configured (or manufactured) either way but I'm much less certain of that!

Yale incorporated a steel plate that acts as the locking dogs in the Bicentric® padlocks. This plate pivots on a small pin centered between both cylinders. Either Master or Change keys pull this plate clear of the shackle. Imagine how a child's seesaw works, for example, pushing down on the right side will give the same results as pulling up on the left side. If the pivot point is removed, as in the case of the padlocks, BOTH sides will need to be lifted together to then clear the shackle, and as stated earlier, this varient is very very very very very RARE!

Thread Information