Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Whelp, to be honest, this lock isnt with me yet. It should be here tomorrow or Monday. The seller said that the guard keys turned the cylinder but didnt open the lock. And the fact that it says guard, makes me think this is a prison lock or a bank lock. Local mastersmith was perplexed by the guard cylinder. So I went with the old adage, "If you've never seen it before, buy it." Im confident this is a Dual Custody Padlock. I plan on Picking the change cylinder just to confirm.

Default 2 key padlock

Kaye of Leeds (now Pickersgill-Kaye) patented a 2-key lever padlock in 1921, BP169,886.
    This is a masterkeyed padlock, operated either by servant key or masterkey. The two keyholes are arranged side by side. Also, the masterkey can doublelock the padlock so that the servant key is locked out. Kaye claimed that, to their knowledge, this had not hitherto taken place in padlocks.
    Kaye's patent makes reference to an earlier patent BP100,985 wherein the two keyholes were arranged vertically.

Thread Information