Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default New book on High Security Locks & Keys, Highly Recommended.

Graham Pulford has been working on this for a long time, and I feel that it's going to be well worth the wait ..

Editorial Reviews

Review

"In scope and clarity this book transcends anything that I have ever seen on locks and keys."--Jon Millington

Book Description

High-Security Mechanical Locks comprehensively surveys and explains the highly technical area of high security locks in a way that is accessible to a wide audience. Well over 100 different locks are presented, organized into 6 basic types. Each chapter introduces the necessary concepts in a historical perspective and further categorizes the locks. This is followed by detailed "how it works" descriptions with many pictures, diagrams and references. The descriptions are based on actual dissections of the real locks.

The scope is limited to key operated mechanical locks, thus keyless combination locks and digital locks are not covered. The book does not deal with routine locksmithing topics such as installation and servicing of locks. The sensitive area of picking and bypassing of locks is dealt with only at a high level without giving detailed information that would be unacceptable in the wrong hands.

* Comprehensive coverage of over 100 different types of 19th and 20th century key-operated locks, unified in a simple classification scheme
    * Detailed operating principles - clear "how it works" descriptions
    * Manipulation resistance rating for each lock on a scale of 1 to 5

To pre-order this title please click on the image below.

http://www.antique-locks.com/images/imported/2007/08/irtantiquelocksc21amplur2ampo2-1.jpg[/img]]amazon2

Default Re: New book on High Security Locks & Keys, Highly Recommended.

Does anybody know of a publisher who has a book on Safes?

If so please respond.

Regards
    Russell

Default Re: New book on High Security Locks & Keys, Highly Recommended.

Hi, Graham here, the author of "High Security Mechanical Locks: An Encyclopedic Reference" (Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann, Nov. 2007). First of all, I'd like to thank oldlock for posting this thread and giving the book a good plug.

For people who are still wondering if they should buy the book, please have a look at the reviews on amazon.com. There are also lots of favourable comments on the lockpicking101 site, but you need to do a site-specific search using google. A nice review was recently published in the UK Master Locksmiths' Association magazine Keyways (Feb 2008). Google Books is also previewing the book - you can view up to 10% in one go.

Just to fill people in, the book has recently been pirated. If you feel like downloading an illegal copy, I can't stop you. On the other hand, if you prefer to own a hardbound, paper copy, then you'll need to buy one. Amazon.ca seems to have the cheapest, but I hear deliveries can be slow.

If you already have a copy of the book, I would really appreciate you posting a review setting out what you think of it. It may encourage more people to buy a copy rather than download an illegal one. You can upload reviews to amazon as long as you have a login. If you don't, please send it to me via this website and I'll make sure the publisher (Elsevier) sends it to Amazon or uploads it to their site.

Sincerely

Graham Pulford

Thread Information