Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Lock grade system?

Lock grade system?
    On another topic there was a question that brought something to mind. We don't really have a grade system for locks. Here are some ideas:

UNK - Uninstalled, new in box with all hardware for that lock and instructions in box.
    EXK - Excellent - New condition but no box or instructions. Has OEM key/code paper.
    EFK – Extremely Fine – Near new condition but some wear, all lines are good. May have OEM key or after market key or code.
    VFK – Very Fine – Some wear but all words and lines are good. Has working key or code.
    FNK – Fine – The lock has been used, all words are legible, Has working key.
    VGK – Very Good – The lock has wear that makes some lines not as clear. Has working key or code.
    GDK – Good – The lock is worn but works and some things can’t be made out in the wording. Has working key or code.
    AGK – About Good – The lock has heavy wear. Most words are not clear or gone. Has key or code but may not work well.
    EF – Extremely Fine – Near new condition but some wear, all lines are good. No key/code.
    VF – Very Fine – Some wear but all words and lines are good. No key/code.
    FN – Fine – The lock has been used, all words are legible, No key/code.
    VG – Very Good – The lock has wear that makes some lines not as clear. No key/code.
    GD – Good – The lock is worn but works and some things can’t be made out in the wording. No key/code.
    AG – About Good – The lock has heavy wear. Most words are not clear or gone. No key/code.

If coin collectors can have a system to grade coins why not us? Again this just an idea so I would love to hear your thoughts.

A system that looks at the various aspects of condition and presentation with a number/letter scale might be more flexible.

Something like....

Condition of Lock, Key(s)and Hardware each graded as below.

A+(absolutely as new)
    A (light storage marks)
    B (signs of wear)
    C (light scratches/light corrosion)
    D (heavy scratches/heavy corrosion)
    E (battered/gouged/worn)
    F (very poor)
    N (not present)

Completeness

W (complete with all original accessories/instructions)
    X (oem key(s))
    Y (pattern key(s))
    Z (incomplete)

Condition of Packaging

A+(absolutely as new)
    A (light storage marks)
    B (rubbing/creasing/light price markings)
    C (slight damage)
    D (heavier damage)
    E (battered/dirty/heavy pen marks )
    F (very poor)

Presented as:-

<Lock/set condition><Complete?><Key type><Condition><Packaging condition><complete?>

Examples:-

DZN = Tatty lock has missing parts and no key

CXB = Lock has light scratches and/or corrosion and oem key with signs of wear.

EYE = Lock has seen a bit of life! so has the non original key.

A+XAWB = Brand new lock,keys and hasp etc. in slightly grubby box.

This scheme needs refinement and will never cover all cases but might do the job?

Sounds good to me. I just thought to get the conversation started. As I am a coin collector it is handy to know that grade of the coins in the collection as this leads me to the value on the market. As a lock collector I know the condition but there isn't a grade, yet. I have noticed that the market is building.

Looks like we have the chance to set an industry standard!

There is already one term in widespread use - NOS or New Old Stock - perhaps equivalent to your "UNK"

I have to agree with Tom as I am also familiar with the expression NOS but I like both your rating systems pretty much :)

If we could the information in both of them together in one system that would be great!

Default Lock grade system?

Hello Dean, I can see your coin influence in your rating system...Makes cents to me, pun intended .....Mint, circulated, fine...etc..........Donnie

Thread Information