Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pancake lock "Corbin Cabinet Lock Co" - Rare?

I stumbled across the following pancake lock which I figured was likely very common, mainly because Corbin is so prolific
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corbin_Pancake_Lock-small.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	7929

This lock is in exceptional condition but I haven't been able to locate others like it. It did not come with a key - and none of my push keys open it. Still, in order to correctly price it, I need an idea what others like them have sold for. Do any of you have this in your collection and if so, do you remember what you paid for it?

Oh, one more thing. The back side of the lock has a very nice repeating circular pattern where it was polished out:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corbin_Pancake_Lock-Back-small-2.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	7930

I picked one like it up at a flea market a few years back for $20 and traded it for another padlock about a year later. Mine had a non original working key with it. I would think yours would be in that price range, maybe as much as $30. PM me if you want to sell it. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    I picked one like it up at a flea market a few years back for $20 and traded it for another padlock about a year later. Mine had a non original working key with it. I would think yours would be in that price range, maybe as much as $30. PM me if you want to sell it. Mark
    Thanks. At some point, I'll be selling it - I'd like to keep it - it's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship; but I overbid a bit at the last auction I went to and need to recoup what I spent. On the plus side I did get several deals - like an S&G 826A (1973) with key. It's up on eBay now.

Anyway, as I was digging through one of the lots, I came across the most unusual lock; a key on one side and a combo on the other. Now I'm just getting started in this arena and had never heard of a Gougler before. It just so happens that while researching another lock, I ran into this forum and references to Gougler. I'll be posting for help eventually - I have seen the post that requires me to post front and back photos along with my name. I'm just not there yet - but I did look for model number. I could not find one - just a patent number and a 4-digit code on the shackle.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know when I get ready to sell the Corbin.

A lock like yours sold on Ebay in 1999. See the link.
    BBE.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 31-01-19 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Link removed

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    A lock like yours sold on Ebay in 1999. See the link.
    BBE.
    $147.50 in 1999 and it doesn't look nearly as nice as the one I have.

...and on page 4, one more like mine for $675.00
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 31-01-19 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Links removed

But these ones were with a key I guess?

Locks and Padlocks always sell for more when being with an original key :)

Quote Originally Posted by dicey View Post
    But these ones were with a key I guess?

Locks and Padlocks always sell for more when being with an original key :)
    Not necessarily. I find that the better locks typically don't have a key about 75% of the time. With the push levers like this many make the mistake of prying off the cover to get at it to make a key. That is what lowers value a lot.
    BBE.

Default Pancake lock "Corbin Cabinet Lock Co" -Rare?

BBE
    You are right as how many time have people let some locksmith to try to impression key for there lock. As for some they don't know how to impression any lock as they do go way to far by trying to take the whole lock apart as thinking they can make a key found out they can't. They end up destory the whole lock. It going to be hard to find some old timer that do know how to do this better than most new locksmith today. As today locksmith they only want to cut key by code to get a working key. This is why I tell most people as be careful of how or who you deal with some locksmith....

As with anything the skills of the locksmith are not something you can know. I teach other locksmiths in fitting keys. Impressioning is a practiced art that not many are willing to put in the time. There are a few that are VERY good and like myself take the time to talk to the old timers to find out what they know. I would ask if the locksmiths knows how to "Smoke a key" method, if you get a blank look I would go on to the next locksmith. There are less locksmiths learning how to fit keys to lever locks in the US today than 50 years ago. Maybe only because they are getting rare here. I know of maybe 15 in my area that know how.

Default Pancake lock "Corbin Cabinet Lock Co" -Rare?

There one thing as there are not too many blank key for some of these old lock. I just wish that ILCO would start making these old blank key as far as back in 1800. These old lock are still around and still working as new. I'm sure there are some locksmith still have the old blank key somewhere in there garage.

Just like Dean said there are few of these locksmith that really know how to do the job. As today with all this computer thing going on that a lot would really like to look up the code on-line to get a working key as they are to dang lazy to impression key than to learn how to impression key.

Thread Information