Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sebring View Post
    I just wanted to point out that while this US/ARMY lock is correctly described as a pancake lock, it is not a push key pancake lock. The US Lock Co. made at least two warded pancake locks one which you found marked Army and another you may someday find marked Navy.
    BBE.

tsspencer -

The log at the 1st-net-lock-museum shows one selling 18 years ago (99) for $147.50 and another in 2010 for $675.00

Is there any reason to think the eBay price would be significantly below the value this lock fetch in 2010. I do realize that anything is only worth
    what someone is willing to pay and that markets fluctuate with supply and demand. But I thought maybe you are aware of something I'm not.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 31-01-19 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Link removed

Quote Originally Posted by timof5stars View Post
    tsspencer -
    The log at the 1st-net-lock-museum shows one selling 18 years ago (99) for $147.50 and another in 2010 for $675.00
    Is there any reason to think the eBay price would be significantly below the value this lock fetch in 2010. I do realize that anything is only worth
    what someone is willing to pay and that markets fluctuate with supply and demand. But I thought maybe you are aware of something I'm not.
    From The National Locksmith Guide to Antique Padlocks (c)1990 by Jack Roberts, CML:
    This type of padlock...was manufactured in the millions, with three, four and six lever mechanisms, by almost every padlock company in America in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Determining a manufacturer can be very difficult and time consuming due to the many names applied to these padlocks and the fact that they were manufactured for railroads, express companies, hardware companies, private companies, expositions, commemorative events or just about any name that could be imagined and with varying rivet and keyway locations.

Pete Schifferli
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 31-01-19 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Link removed

tsspencer -

Regretfully time constraints have not let me keep that site as up-to-date as I would like. When the price a lock sold for is on the right, the place it sold is right below it and to the left of the location is the date sold. Both of those examples were sold on Ebay. The only way to explain the difference in price is that different people were looking and buying.
    BBE.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 31-01-19 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Link removed

WOW...beautiful!

tsspencer -

Tim, I've bought a lot of padlocks off of Ebay over the years and frequently follow the lock sales. It seems that padlock prices have gone up a lot lately, even on mass produced plain Jane locks. The bargain deals are getting harder to find. It's a sellers market for sure right now.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 31-01-19 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Link removed
    Mark A. Billesbach

I had originally planned to sell the lock. But now the lock has taken me on a 3-year adventure. Lauren has created a working key for the lock, and the lock has a story attached to it. It is a personal story, and not likely to add anything to the value in the general public's mind. But it is significant to me, it represents a testimonial of my journey and some of the things that I've learned along the way. I guess, in the end, that's all it needs to be. It has become more than a "just a lock" to me. I doubt anyone else would prize it to the degree I do, so maybe having it remain as part of my meager personal collection... (and shall remain meager if my wife knows of what she is saying). Maybe that is where it is supposed to be.

You all rock. This forum has a huge amount of knowledge and years of experience in the professionals who gather here. Thanks again to all of you who have replied to this thread and/or PM'd me, helping to point me in the right direction. I am grateful to all of you. This whole key and padlock thing is starting to become a real passion for me. My wife says she may have to kill me if I continue to clutter the house with locks that don't open and keys that don't fit anything, and boxes of these items that are too heavy to lift...

Tm

PS, I suspect most of you are already aware of this, but just in case, I wanted to mention that Lauren's new book is out.

Hmmm, that's odd. Before I posted about Lauren's new book, I searched the forum to see if he had already mentioned it. The search returned nothing recent. But now I see his post under "Newest Posts" of the right side panel. I must have somehow screwed up the search. Oh well....

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Padlock_Collector_Boojk_Two.jpg  
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 31-01-19 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Removed broken link

Thumbs up

Just check the link above. It no longer works. Here is an updated link that works as of the date of this post:

*EDIT* Link removed, book available from the blurb.com website as previous
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 31-01-19 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Link removed

Just check the link above. It no longer works.
    This is exactly why links are discouraged in favour of uploading screen shots or simply naming the site where the target content can be seen. It is simple enough for those interested to then search the name and access the relevant site themselves.

Remember- Links to businesses or commercial selling/advertising are not allowed, nor are links that divert antique-locks viewers away to other sites.

There is the For Sale & Wanted section provided specifically for members' private selling and wanted requests.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 31-01-19 at 05:53 PM.

Thread Information