Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Stuck Cannonball Door

It was nice to let us know finally got it open.

Wonderful news! Remember now to open that door a few times a year and keep it oiled!

Thanks gentelmen for all the support and advice. I have pledged that I will open it at least once each month and oil it. Allan, the Mosler man said I might just keep a can of 3-in1 oil and some clean "cotton" rags inside the safe. That way each time I opened it the oil and rags would be right there. He said that the clean cotten rag inside would draw any condensation to it instead of the metal door.

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO View Post
    He said that the clean cotten rag inside would draw any condensation to it instead of the metal door.
    You might also consider throwing in some silica dessicant bags to help stabilize the interior humidity, and/or a vapor-phase-inhibitor product.

I would second that. We sell (as do most shops that sell safes) a canister that is about 4lbs that can be put in the oven every year or so to dry it out at a LOW temp for the oven. That way it never gets full unless you live in HUMID place then you might do it more often.

Thread Information