Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default stuck cannonball door

i have a stuck door on a cannonball safe. i have bolted a cheeter bar on the door to turn it, i have moved it less then a 1/8" ccw on the door. on the cheeter bar im using 3300# of weight from a fork lift. i layed it on its back and made a dam out of putty and filled the dam with wd-40 for three days, i have used a slege hammer around the top and sides with the weight on it. im pooped out. what can i do next? it hasnt been opened for 20 years +. it hasnt been out side, and no surface rust. very clean. am i right beliving that once you take the front off and combo removed, and all thats showing is one large gear aprox. 7" that after 72 hours its unlocked? and should be able to turn the door ccw and it will open. thank you.

Maybe you shoud try using NUT OFF in spray can as this loosens rusted or corroded. That wd-40 is only for lubricant. This is my guess as i has try it on a safe awhile back and it loose up all the rust.

Safenut, I have to ask if you are safe tech? I have had a bit of training but I am no expert. But this safe may have a fault with the lock(s) that might need a experienced hand. If a time lock fails, the main lock fails, the relocker has fired (if it has one), or the boltwork is disconnected you need someone that knows where to put the hole to keep the damage down to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    Safenut, I have to ask if you are safe tech? I have had a bit of training but I am no expert. But this safe may have a fault with the lock(s) that might need a experienced hand. If a time lock fails, the main lock fails, the relocker has fired (if it has one), or the boltwork is disconnected you need someone that knows where to put the hole to keep the damage down to a minimum.
    im not a tech. (on cannonballs) but shouldnt the door move a bit? ether way? its tight. as far as lock and re-lockers. i dont know. something could have failed. i would be willing to drill it. other then the name on the lock, theirs no brand on it. so i wouldnt know where to drill. theirs safe techs, and then theirs cannonball techs. thanks

My guess if you post a picture maybe give us some idea of what you talking about and the problem you having.....

Yes I think some pictures would help. Determining the direction the door turns is important so you are not wasting your time. Odds are good your problem is not the timelock, possible but not nearly as likely. The fact you have some movement is good. Is this movement free or with a ton of effort? Doug

The Antique Lock Collector, Vol. 35, No. 3 (July-Sept. 2013) published by the West Coast Lock Collector's Association has an article entitled "Opening Stuck Cannonball Safes." The author, Lynn Collins, used what he calls the "shock method." Hope this helps. - Scott

You stated that you were trying to move the handle CCW. If it is a Mosler cannonball safe you must turn the handle CW to open. That said.... I have an old Mosler Cannonball right now with a stuck door. Has not been opened in 14 years and I suspect interior rust, because the combination sequence works just fine. If you get yours open please let me know how you did it. Thanks.

MCPO, then maybe you would like to post some pictures?? Mosler made several different models, lug, double lug and screw type. What do you have? Doug

I will post some pics of my Mosler cannonball later today. A couple taken 14 years ago when it was last opened and one as it is today with the door stuck closed.

Thread Information