Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Dudley lock with Brown University on it age and combo?

I found this in a attic space as a student there in 1980. Alcohol, old buildings, attic spaces... what could go wrong? Anyway, long story short, I thought it was cool and kept it. 30+ years later, it still beckons me every now and then. I try a few combos in an attempt to close it, because it is open, only to fail, so I put it back on the shelf. This futile exercise repeats itself every few years when I stumble upon it in the dark recesses of my garage. Recently I became incensed with the 10,000th phone call from Brown asking for money, I told them to stop calling as I had died a few months ago, and decided I was getting rid of that cursed lock on the off chance that the lock was the real reason they feel the irresistible urge to call me constantly begging for money. Like Golem was slave to the One Ring, there is a supernatural pull to this lock. After some searching, I found it again, or should I say, it found me. Assuming I can muster the strength of Bilbo Baggins, break this bond, and send it to a new owner, I thought it would be worth more on Ebay if I could figure out the combination. I have not been able find anything on the web about a Dudley lock with Brown University on it. I saw one site with pictures of old Dudleys and the only one with a name on the face (Westinghouse General Electric) had a much newer back. This seems to be an old back. Any idea on why I can't close it? The piece half covering the hole won't move. I can see all the wheels turning inside and when I push the lock thing into the hole and turn the dial I can feel the gates. My thought has been I need to have the correct combination dialed in to close it, but what do I know? Finally, is this even worth selling or am I destined to be haunted by this lock forever more until I can scale the fires of Mount Doom?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1068.JPG   IMG_1069.JPG   IMG_1072.JPG  

Just put it up on Ebay I am sure lock collectors will see it there and buy it :)

Default Brown U. Dudley lock

DON'T lock this lock.....put masking tape over the hole.. It is easier to find the combination with the lock open.......If you lock it....you will never get it open....Donnie

I have three of Dudley combination lock. As all three has stamp number of code to get combination number. Not sure of where but i believe they may be on the bottom of the lock. I'm sure there are some old timer locksmith out there can get combination number of your padlock...Timothy....

Yes, there is 0665 stamped on the bottom. Thanks for that info. Can anyone tell me what year or range of years this would be from?

Well that almost a godo start as one more thing as some of these Dudley also may have letter on it with code number. Sorry as i'm not allow to give out combination number but not sure if I have it. As for age for it should be someone on here may give you answer but as i was looking at Patented number on the lock it may be Sept 7 1920 don't know if also may be 1820.....Timothy...

Default I think I have your answer

Quote Originally Posted by jj1984 View Post
    I found this in a attic space as a student there in 1980. Alcohol, old buildings, attic spaces... what could go wrong? Anyway, long story short, I thought it was cool and kept it. 30+ years later, it still beckons me every now and then. I try a few combos in an attempt to close it, because it is open, only to fail, so I put it back on the shelf. This futile exercise repeats itself every few years when I stumble upon it in the dark recesses of my garage. Recently I became incensed with the 10,000th phone call from Brown asking for money, I told them to stop calling as I had died a few months ago, and decided I was getting rid of that cursed lock on the off chance that the lock was the real reason they feel the irresistible urge to call me constantly begging for money. Like Golem was slave to the One Ring, there is a supernatural pull to this lock. After some searching, I found it again, or should I say, it found me. Assuming I can muster the strength of Bilbo Baggins, break this bond, and send it to a new owner, I thought it would be worth more on Ebay if I could figure out the combination. I have not been able find anything on the web about a Dudley lock with Brown University on it. I saw one site with pictures of old Dudleys and the only one with a name on the face (Westinghouse General Electric) had a much newer back. This seems to be an old back. Any idea on why I can't close it? The piece half covering the hole won't move. I can see all the wheels turning inside and when I push the lock thing into the hole and turn the dial I can feel the gates. My thought has been I need to have the correct combination dialed in to close it, but what do I know? Finally, is this even worth selling or am I destined to be haunted by this lock forever more until I can scale the fires of Mount Doom?
    From the information you have provided (i.e. The piece half covering the hole won't move. AND I can see all the wheels turning inside ...) indicates to me that the lock mechanism is in the closed position. Just because the shackle is open does not mean the lock is open. Someone must have pushed the lock mechanism closed by pushing something into the hole through which you can see the wheels turn. The fact that you can see the wheels turn is a good sign. If you can see each of the wheels turn there is hope. Respond and we may be able to solve this and you will have a working lock. BTW - I opened an old lock and pushed the mechanism closed then tried my solution and I was able to fix it.

Thread Information