Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    The crane hinge on the Cleveland Trust vault is connected via 'hinge pin' extending from top to bottom. This design appears to be common on doors with 'X' pattern pressure systems

Cleveland Trust
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21ARW.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	13154

Others

Name:	4 bar pressure system1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	13155 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MNY9974.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	13156
    The second door you posted is also unusual having a hexagonal housing for the pressure bar drive

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    The second door you posted is also unusual having a hexagonal housing for the pressure bar drive
    The only other hexagonal pressure housing I know of is at the old Union Trust branch at 337 Fourth Avenue, now home to the Engineer's Society of Western Pennsylvania (info from wylk). Here is a picture (from Doug McQueen) that was posted in the 'Hollar Round Door Vaults' thread years ago.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	13201

Nice contrast- the hexagonal housing in brass stands out with the handle against the door. Nice brass finials on the hinges and matching door pull as well. Shame the door surface looks like they let a clown loose to clean it with a rotary brush on an angle grinder..

Here's another high res image of the Cleveland Federal Reserve bank vault door:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/canton...57639180762246

Name:	CFR vault door35 - small.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	13683

Thank you ! I added a note until it can be confirmed but I did a little research and couldn't find any vault references so I agree, they are probably gone

I found a couple articles that suggest the NY Fed has two cylindrical vault doors on each of the three floors that have vaults, 6 total. I also found some NY Fed blueprints that seem to validate the articles. Does anyone know how many cylindrical vault doors are at the NY Fed?

Name:	NYFR vault2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	13587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pict57.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	13588 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pict58.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	13589

The Bankers Manazine 1922 NY Fed article.pdf

Science Foils The Safe Blower - Modesto News-Herald 1929.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    I found a couple articles that suggest the NY Fed has two cylindrical vault doors on each of the three floors that have vaults, 6 total. I also found some NY Fed blueprints that seem to validate the articles. Does anyone know how many cylindrical vault doors are at the NY Fed?
    i think there's going to be a few unmarked black ops helicopters flying your way...

For a long time I thought the CleveFed door was a straight solid casting, but more recently I found a description of added protection in the door. Don't know where I found that now though. Extra long drills can be made up but the extreme thickness makes any of the usual methods (drills, torches, explosives) difficult and time consuming. It was also considered that a cannon might be used against it. Also to my knowledge, armed guards 24/7 have always been used.

Yes the paper clips will not return if bent beyond their intended use. But they are not dead soft either. The door and frame on the other hand, obviously are softer. I haven't seen the infamous clip itself but the indentation is deep. The surface of the indentation itself will have seen the greater degree of work hardening than the paper clip. I agree it does seem strange but I am sure there were many factors considered in picking the choice of metal used in the door and frame castings, such as has been pointed out with hand filing. I haven't done any steel casting yet but in working brasses and bronze some are far better than others, regarding flow characteristics, gas holes, etc.

I added 10 more Remote Combination Viewer vaults after sharing the inventory with the Safe and Vault Collectors group on Facebook. Although, most still need confirmation.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information