Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I hadn't noticed this before but the CFRs emergency door is to the right of the main door; visible behind the ductwork:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFR vault door20.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	13487

It appears to have been housed in a glass paneled room that is no longer there:

Name:	CFR vault door1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	13488

Here's a shot of the ductwork running right up the staircase. I don't recall the old videos mentioning ventilation. It looks low enough where you would need to duck your head when walking under it or else...

Name:	CFR vault door4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	576.3 KB 
ID:	13489

Beautiful - but is the term "high security" accurate?

Only if you put in in concrete. That would almost be a crime.

I do not see a bolt-throwing hand-wheel on these doors only a pressure system hand-wheel, nor are there any combination dials or jamb controls... The only jamb control I see is on the Cleveland Trust door in the form of a hand-wheel that I believe operates the entrance platform. There is an interesting electrical panel above it.

Name:	22ARW.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	13157

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    I do not see a bolt-throwing hand-wheel on these doors only a pressure system hand-wheel, nor are there any combination dials or jamb controls... The only jamb control I see is on the Cleveland Trust door in the form of a hand-wheel that I believe operates the entrance platform. There is an interesting electrical panel above it.
    Cleveland Trust doors were "automatic" so the bolts were thrown closed by the bolt motor (big springs) when the door was closed, and the time lock would trigger the bolt motor to withdraw the bolts at the appropriate time. Thus there were no holes through the door (or the door frame as with Holmes designs) and no combination locks and no bolt-throwing handwheel. A disadvantage is that in case of riots the door will still unlock itself, allowing access by the marauding mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Cleveland Trust doors were "automatic" so the bolts were thrown closed by the bolt motor (big springs) when the door was closed, and the time lock would trigger the bolt motor to withdraw the bolts at the appropriate time. Thus there were no holes through the door (or the door frame as with Holmes designs) and no combination locks and no bolt-throwing handwheel. A disadvantage is that in case of riots the door will still unlock itself, allowing access by the marauding mobs.
    That is why anti insurgency locks are a must!

The dial turn knob got clipped off by the door as it was being shut during the filming of a video several years ago. I think it was the one newer video mentioned here but I can't get it to work on my computer. Maybe it can be seen in the video. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    The dial turn knob got clipped off by the door as it was being shut during the filming of a video several years ago. I think it was the one newer video mentioned here but I can't get it to work on my computer. Maybe it can be seen in the video. Doug
    Per this drawing by Holmes, remote combination vaults have only the dials on the outside and the locks (with bolt throwing mechanism) on the inside. I'm not sure if this is the case with the Cleveland Federal Reserve vault.

Name:	Vault Plan.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	10488

Back to Cleveland, I spotted a photo on eBay (hence the watermarks) showing the door closed, circa 1924.

Name:	Cleveland Fed AP 1924 1a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	584.9 KB 
ID:	12561

While I am not clear on the patent explanation regarding the down force, all the hinge blocks(knuckles) are load bearing. There considerable side loads to be taken into account.

Thread Information