Quote Originally Posted by dicey View Post
WoW nice one Max! :)

I know that Mosler made a small working round vault door once also with a small vault room and a gate. It stands in the office of one of grand grand sons I believe in New York. Have seen the picture online once but can't find it now...

Your model does not work or?
Cheers Dicey
Yes, I've seen pics of that one a long time ago- they made the entire vault complete with internal decor- it even had a tiny chandelier light inside to show up the interior and the grill gate- it's very impressive.

This particular one I showed is just a 'quickie' static model for display on the desk or counter. I have made a few working doors and cannonballs, but they were 'major' projects that took an incredible amount of time spread out over several years.

I made the static ones as 'quickies' in comparison as most are just interested in looking at them and seeing all the right bits in the right places so to speak- plus it still takes along long time to make a static, although it's easier in that the tolerances don't need to be anywhere as tight as a working model.

Holes for bolts etc can just be drilled for a static model whereas they need to be reamed close to perfect on a working one. Smaller statics look fine with simplified detail like rivets etc but on working models the time is such that you really have to go the whole way with it and fit all the correct studs, nuts and bolts etc. Lanket slots, gears, spindles, hinges etc all have to be machined and reamed a perfect fit on a functional version, which is of course why it takes so much longer.

If I could live till I was 150 or 200......