Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Great stuff guys!

This just keeps getting better.................

Thanks for confirming the door thickness Doug- I'd often wondered if the reputed 5 foot was 'overall' thickness, or just the 'slab' or protective 'plug' thickness.

I've attached a few pics- First ones often said to be the Cleveland FRB Emergency door, but although it all looks right I'm not 100% certain. I've seen it included with pics of a main door which is very similar to the CFRB, but slightly different pattern.

NB: Check out the number of fixing studs on the top hinge carriage of any pics you find- the Cleveland door has 10, whereas there are several similar, but slightly thinner doors with 8. They are still massive doors, and look identical, it's only when you get picky with the details that the differences become apparent.

The second pic is of what again is supposedly the CFRB door being machined at York's on the vertical turret lathe. From this shot it looks spot-on for the door in question, but it could be one of the other similar, slightly thinner doors.

Third pic is probably right- when closed the crane hinge covers the bottom carriage fixings and obscures them from view.

Dicey- that side-on pic of the door is awesome- really puts it all in perspective!

Wylk- Going over to Utube now to look at those vids- Look's like Christmas has come early for me this year..............

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleveland FRB Emergency Door.jpg   Cleveland FRB on Turret Mill.jpg   Cleveland door at factory.jpg  

Almost forgot-

Dicey-

Yes, feel free to show my necklace/pendant. Just mention where you saw it and get me some orders lol

The chain is my daily stainless 'chunky' I wear, but the CFRB door pendant is something I made years ago-
    It's all machined from matching 316 stainless and took ages- index milling all the bolt holes around the door was a nightmare-
    It's tough stuff to work at the best of times but even more so in small sizes- You need to flood it with so much coolant you can't see what you're doing!

It's a bit of fun though, even if most people wonder what the heck it is!

I'm totally out of sync with these now lol.

All the old black and white pics of the actual door are ones I've just trawled up over the years. wish I did have them in A4 size to enlarge etc, but unfortunately not.

You are the best Doug, thanks so much for sharing :)

I'll second that- BIG thanks for sharing.

I'm amazed you had a brochure, and even more amazed to see a pic which actually shows the frame being machined!
    Have to admit a smug sense of relief to see it was done on the same vertical mill as the door!
    I didn't know for sure but figured that's how it would have been done.

Thanks to dicey as well- few pics of the door ever give a sense of it's size- that side-on pic with the guy stood next to it is amazing and I haven't seen it before, so thanks for sharing as i I forgot to say in the message

For MaxVaultage, here's another little weekend project:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colosimo.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	7924

Mentioned in an earlier thread, the company makes these tabletop safes using a door design inspired by the great round doors of which the CFRB's is an extreme example. Watch out, last I checked one of these little items was around $23,000.00 as I recall.

http://www.doettling.com/en/tabletop-objects.html

Name:	dottling.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	461.4 KB 
ID:	8318

Be sure to download the product information PDF for better images. (I have no affiliation, etc.).

Here is the door shock around 2010

Name:	CFR door shock.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	13058

Here's a picture of the CRF door (from another thread) with a caption that says the time lock is Sargent & Greenleaf...

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	13453

What is the device under the door jamb? It looks like a lever that contacts the crane hinge when closed.

Name:	CFR vault door3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	13051

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    What is the device under the door jamb? It looks like a lever that contacts the crane hinge when closed.
    Guessing, it looks like either a sort of doorstop to prevent an unintended door closing (though that seems unlikely), or possibly a shock absorber to prevent an overly-aggressive closing. If you look at the bottom of the crane hinge I believe you can see a round dark imprint from this mystery device. I've never noticed this before, on this door or any other.

Thread Information