Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    This plus some of the clutter makes me think this was taken during installation.
    This one has June 12, 1924 stamped on the back:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFR vault door15-small.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	13475
    The caption on the back reads, "THIS GIANT DOOR of a big vault in the Federal Reserve Bank, at Cleveland, is a third larger than any other vault door in the world. Its total weight is 195 tons and it is four feet thick. The delicately adjusted mechanism of the door makes it easy to swing by the pressure of the hand."

and this one has March 30, 1933 stamped on the back (smaller pic size):

Name:	CFR vault door17-small.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	13476

Does anyone know how the vertical 'roller bearing racks' inside the remote combination viewer work with the pressure system lug? I assume the lug crawls up the racks as pressure is applied but not sure how they hold the lug in place. This is from the Capital Grille vault door in NYC.

Name:	IMG_3349.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	21585 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3350.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	21586 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3339.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	21587

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    Does anyone know how the vertical 'roller bearing racks' inside the remote combination viewer work with the pressure system lug? I assume the lug crawls up the racks as pressure is applied but not sure how they hold the lug in place.
    My own guess on this is that the rollers are simply acting as a linear bearing as the lug block moves up and down under considerable side-load pressure. I don't think it is a "rack" (in the sense of rack and pinion) at all.

Here are references for One Federal Place: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/21...-boston-ma-usa (the old building) and https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...-boston-ma-usa (the new building). I do know of one location where an old vault was preserved inside a newer building, the New Yorker Hotel (not a remote viewer type).

At the Drury Plaza you comment on wear patterns in the carpet. To me, it looks like somebody spilled bleach in several places.

The 1923 building at One Federal Place was demolished and replaced around 1975 so the doors are most likely (but not absolutely certainly) gone. I don't know if this means removal from your list, or just the addition of a note to this effect.

Thread Information