Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Here is the Time Lock which we don't see very often. Does anyone know the make and model?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRF vault door29.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	13439

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    Here is the Time Lock which we don't see very often. Does anyone know the make and model?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRF vault door29.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	13439
    I'm not an expert, but it looks like it is a Yale Quadruple-M.

There are some shown here : http://www.my-time-machines.net/yale4mvt.htm

...Mark

Pretty sure those were Quad N models. "M" size movements but the M case is longer. The N case style has the bottom attachment. If you scroll down the listing in mytimemachines to Hollar, there are 3 shown used with Hollar automatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Pretty sure those were Quad N models. "M" size movements but the M case is longer. The N case style has the bottom attachment. If you scroll down the listing in mytimemachines to Hollar, there are 3 shown used with Hollar automatics.
    Check out the example labelled "C" in the link I provided. It is described as a Quad-M, retrofitted with L type movements. The case looks right.

Examples "A" and "B" do have a longer case, but I believe this is because they have the optional "Open attachment", which allows the time lock to be set, but will not engage when the door is closed, unless the Open lever is thrown upwards, arming the unit.

...Mark

Here is the M. I don't have an N or that other model catalog picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 074_74.JPG  

Here is the M. I don't have an N or that other model catalog picture
    Having looked at that, I would suggest the lock in place on the door is a Style K4 Quadruple-M, which lacks the Open attachment & is described below the picture you posted of a regular Quadruple-M.

...Mark

You are really making me work for this. K series are medium sized models. M and N are large ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 063_63.JPG   064_64.JPG   K4 1.jpg   Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg  

You are really making me work for this. K series are medium sized models. M and N are large ones.
    I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative & I really appreciate the replies. Whether I am right or wrong we are talking across purposes. Maybe I am not explaining myself clearly.

I am not referring to the K series time locks that use smaller L size movements.

As I understand it, the M series time locks were available with or without what is called the "Open Attachment".

The top two time locks A & B in the following link (http://www.my-time-machines.net/yale4mvt.htm) are described as Quad-Ms, and have the open attachment & it occupies the area to the right of the movements. The open attachment is described and discussed in their description.

The third lock pictured, "C" is shorter than "A" & "B", because it lacks the open attachment. The description for this lock states that it is a Quad-M, that has been retrofitted with L size movements.

If you look at the catalogue page you posted, it states clearly that the picture is of a regular Quadruple-M. Below the picture, it provides measurements for two Quadruple-M series time locks. The regular, and a Style K4 Quad-M (not K movements), that lacks the open attachment.

I understand that a series N lock uses M size movements & is designed to operate an automatic bolt motor and it seems that it has a very similar shape to a type M that lacks the open attachment.

Thankyou for your patience.

...Mark

No I get it, you want to learn about this and I've got some info. When I did bank service work on these timelocks I didn't even know the model names. I had never noticed that K4 at the bottom of the M catalog page. Why they put that in there just confuses things. It isn't a K4 M, only a comparison in size of a K4 with the M if you needed a smaller lock. As to the C example I don't think it is a M model, especially when you read the fine print in the M Special. Also, I still stand by the N model on the Fed door, even though it was specifically designed use with an automatic. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 073_73.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by mercury View Post
    I'm not an expert, but it looks like it is a Yale Quadruple-M.

There are some shown here : http://www.my-time-machines.net/yale4mvt.htm

...Mark
    I've been asked to comment on this photo, It's quite poor but it could be a quad N as someone has suggested, but the surrounding vault door looks way too small to support this type of lock, could it not be a quad L? Either way, as Mercury noted, it is exceeding rare to see a quad for an automatic bolt motor. After reading this thread I realized I had mistaken my ID for the Yale quad originally called a Quad L but is a Quad K as the Yale literature states. Thanks. Please let me know other mistakes you find. I want he web site to be as accurate a reference resource as possible.

Thread Information