Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default round iron body padlock, no markings, interesting key operation

Hi team, while I'm on a roll here tonite I'm going to try to identify another one
    This lock is round
    it is 2 1/4 " in Dia.
    it is 15/16 " thick
    the weight is 12.5 oz.
    The total height including the shackle is 3 1/2"
    After installing the key & turning it 1/4 of the way around there is a loud click, then the key free wheels to about 90 percent of the 360 degree circle........then at the last 10 percent, which completes the circle the lock will open....
    It is key retaining & the key must be reversed all the way around to remove it...
    At the same place that the first release took place about 1/4 of the way into the turn cycle, you can feel the lock internals apply, go back home & remove the key
    There are no identifying mark's either on the lock or the key, actually there are, but they are worn away to the point that I cannot photograph them.
    I would guess that this lock was not made in America
    I will now attempt my luck again ...to add a photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lock from the lock show & square combination 009.jpg  

Default round iron body padlock

I forgot to mention when describing this lock, that there was a small tag attached to the shackle: in very small hard to read letters & from years of faded ink (trick lock)...
    Even after collecting as long as I have, I will show my ignorance here by asking:
    What does the term "trick lock" refer to?..........Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I forgot to mention when describing this lock, that there was a small tag attached to the shackle: in very small hard to read letters & from years of faded ink (trick lock)...
    Even after collecting as long as I have, I will show my ignorance here by asking:
    What does the term "trick lock" refer to?..........Donnie
    I would guess from the way the key is made that it is a lever lock. The 'trick' would be that the key first sets the levers and then must travel around to move the bolt. Not a normal operation method and therefore a trick that must be known to open the lock.

The design makes me think German for the origin.
    BBE.

Default round iron body padlock

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    I would guess from the way the key is made that it is a lever lock. The 'trick' would be that the key first sets the levers and then must travel around to move the bolt. Not a normal operation method and therefore a trick that must be known to open the lock.

The design makes me think German for the origin.
    BBE.
    Thank you, BBE, both for your opinion on the origin & the description of "trick lock"
    Donnie

It may be that the mechanism is a distraction.
    It is probable that you can use a simple gadget to open the lock just by operating the shackle release which you encountered at 350 degrees.
    I cant remember what the term is that magicians use to describe these gadgets. Think of a bent pin and you may be not far off.
    The right key can be used OR you can just cut to the chase with the bent pin which you previously hid in or on your person.

It is a German padlock and I think I have one with a similiar mechanism. Looking at the design it could be an old Burg padlock but also be from one of the other companies. I have to take a look at my old brochures as soon as I get home :)

Is there a Logo or letters on the key?

I have searched all 70 "Trick" Lock German patents-only 9 UK
    and fewer Belgian and French, to no avail! The two nearest German were DE263175 & DE342316, by the inventive Damm & Ladwig firm.

The first proposes that a sliding shackle guide has to be depressed, after the key is turned, and the latter patent requires that, after turning the key, the sides if the body of the padlock have to be slid.

I think the unusual sequence of events may be the result of using a single ribbon spring to perform all tasks, the key slots being for show, as proposed by Tom Gordon. Is there a shiny portion at the bottom of the keyslots, or are the corners rounded? Can levers be seen within the keyhole. As Adrian Weber was not able to find a Burg or other lock, it may possibly be a cheaper, but attractively presented, lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockets View Post
    I have searched all 70 "Trick" Lock German patents-only 9 UK
    and fewer Belgian and French, to no avail! The two nearest German were DE263175 & DE342316, by the inventive Damm & Ladwig firm.

The first proposes that a sliding shackle guide has to be depressed, after the key is turned, and the latter patent requires that, after turning the key, the sides if the body of the padlock have to be slid.

I think the unusual sequence of events may be the result of using a single ribbon spring to perform all tasks, the key slots being for show, as proposed by Tom Gordon. Is there a shiny portion at the bottom of the keyslots, or are the corners rounded? Can levers be seen within the keyhole. As Adrian Weber was not able to find a Burg or other lock, it may possibly be a cheaper, but attractively presented, lock.
    A magicians trick lock would not be patented but either with or without a “gimmick” (secret tool or feature of a prop) the chap can press a secret button looking like a rivet, use a magnet to unlock or Many other ways to perform a magic opening.
    lock manufacturers may possibly have made locks with two separate actions needed to allow opening but I have never heard of them being called a “trick lock”

Agreed, Tom, but I bowed to my superiors, as espacenet has a category for locks so-named! I always knew them as "Secret" locks!

Some magician's locks have used internal timers, opening the lock after an interval, a slight sound warning the magician just in advance.
    Another specailised type requires several repeated key operations before opening, and many locks have been "butchered" to remove or disable many of the levers!

Thread Information