Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Russwin Big Cylinder....

I have about three of these Russwin Cylinder for door lock but don't know what these door lock look like. As front of these cylinder are 3" dia.

Default Russwin Big Cylinder

Forgot to add picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russwin Big Cylinder #5.jpeg   Russwin Big Cylinder #1.jpeg   Russwin Big Cylinder #4.jpeg   Russwin Big Cylinder #6.jpeg   Russwin Big Cylinder #E.jpeg  

RussWin Big Cylinder #C.jpeg   Russwin Big Cylinder #A.jpeg  

Those Master Ring cylinders are from more than likely a Russwin Unilock. The other option is a CK4200 knob lock. The cylinder tail piece type would suggest they were made sometime in the 1930-60s and I would lean heavy to the Russwin 500 Unilock. The cylinder with the drum like thing with the two flat sides is from a Classroom function lock. The one that is a two prong fork is for about 7 different model of locks.

You have a "master ring" cylinder cylinder patented (#414,720) by Edward O'Keefe, a New York City locksmith, on Nov. 12, 1889. Those cylinders have a concentric ring surrounding the plug creating two shear lines. The plug shear line is used for change key operation while the ring shear line is for master keys. On large master key systems, this prevents the key interchange problem common to conventional cylinders using "split-pin" master keying. The system has fallen out of favor due to the development of higher security key systems and the fact that some contemporary hardware won't accommodate the larger diameter cylinders. They are still made for replacement purposes however. Your cylinders are for key-in-knob locksets although they are also made in mortise and rim formats. For more information, scroll down to page 19 of the Corbin Russwin Key Systems pdf at the link:
    http://www.gmslock.com/category.php/7/IC-Cores

Pete Schifferli

Opps...wrong link, go here:
    http://www.corbinrusswin.com/Other/C...alog/45078.pdf

Sorry for the confusion, apparently no way to correct a post once submitted!

Pete Schifferli

Hi Pschiffe

Editing time is 15 minutes, after that drop me or Dean a pm or email and I can sort it for you. I'll tidy it up when I'm next in 'edit' mode

Brian

Thank Dean and Pete
    As has been sitting around here at the shop for a long time. The old locksmith has retire and have no idea of where door knob be at. I have not see these before and did has time taken it apart slowing to see how it work. As least was fun going thru all that. So once again Thank Timothy....

This is the locks I was leaning to. As you can see the drum like part with the locking parts that would prevent the knob/lever from turning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russwin5405-8Classroom_000.jpg   Russwin540Office_000.jpg  

Well I'm sure that should be it. I have not see any of them here as I believe they may has remove them before I was here. Those kind of lock it all Brass part as you will not see them made it anymore as now just some cheap metal or plastic part on all lock today. Thank..Timothy

Just came across this post, I have several of those master ring knob cylinders. They are great locks!

Thread Information