Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default My Padlock Collection

OK. Vacation is over and the kids are back in school, so I am taking a minute to start this thread about my padlock collection. I tend to collect old things that aren't worth much to most people. The first pic here shows two of my addictions, as you can see, I'm also into old tape measures. All I have right now is this first pic because the rest of the locks are at home. Mostly I'm enjoying finding and collecting Yale locks. I also have a few others though. I'll post more pics as I get them. I'm no locksmith, and I'm pretty ignorant about locks, so any learning I can do about them is welcome.

Thanks!!!

This pic shows two Yale locks and an Eagle. They are all smaller locks measuring ~1.5" tall. They have Yale on the front and the treffoil on the back. The Yales came with one original key each and work beautifully. One of the locks has something missing at the bottom as shown in the pics. The Eagle I got off of epray and thought it was huge from the pics. I was happily suprised to see it was a small one.

20130809IMG 0480vi 1

20130809IMG 0481vi 1

20130809IMG 0484vi 1

20130809IMG 0485vi 1

20130809IMG 0480vi 1

20130809IMG 0486vi 1

Not worth much? You have the OEM box and keys on that Eagle. I would think that would add a bit to the value.

I spent $12 on that Eagle. I've seen a few go on ebay for $15 or so, but not much more. I haven't spent much on the collection, is what I meant I guess. I don't think of it as an investment. Its more just a nifty thing to play with. I've been using them as props and background pieces in the pictures of my work. So they are very useful that way to me. And just neat. I like to wonder what kind of things they have locked up.

The Eagle padlocks are very nice but somehow they don't go for a lit as where others go for hundreds! (Like old Sargent padlocks) I also have some very nice Eagle padlocks, I love their tolerances and also the cases they have are really beautiful! Not like the boring stuff you see today....

Here is a video I did on my Eagle padlocks:

Thread Information