Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Berthold Neumann & Co

Re: HoL library docs Berthold Neumann & Co.

Shall I translate the German?

Page 4:

All prices are to be understood up until our postal office excluding package and plus taxes.

Time of delivery:
    2-3 months because all articles have to be produced saparately due to different requirements.

Payment:
    Within 10 days 2% cash back or within 30 days nett value.

Please write a special enquiry including the specific quantity for all the other articles that are not included on this pricelist. Please mention in what kind of finish we should deliver your brass fittings, we have finishes that are dull, polished, burnished or antique. We also offer individual colouring that can be covered with a transparant cellulose lacquer.

Supplement:
    Special catalog with antique locks and fittings

This translation/mediation was done in a hurry and may contain spelling/grammar mistakes.

Interesting yes. Now I know that I have to be careful when seeing a lock like this!
    I didn't know that and also thought they would usually be older. I have visited a lock collector a few months back and he was able to make new keys for an old lock and let the new keys look old (just as the lock). He tricked me totally but also in a good way. He asked me whether I think this particular key is original old or newly made. Most of the time I was wrong :)

And there I was thinking I could determine that. But I have to say that on safe locks and on padlocks I can actually determine it, at least most of the time.

Adrian, your translation skills will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for the translation Adrian.

One of the reasons this catalogue was added to the library area was to demonstrate that these pattern locks were quite recently made and may indeed be still made today by other makers. The keys are particularly convincing and do sometimes appear on well-known auction sites as Georgian and earlier or otherwise offered to collectors. Whilst they might be early in style they are certainly not several hundred years old. Just to reinforce that when buying any seemingly early keys or locks solid provenance is vital if paying more than just a few pounds.

Thread Information