Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It all comes down to two things. Can you open the safe on your own? Do you want it to work after opening? If the answer is yes on the second question then contact Paul as from what I know of him he is one of the best in your area on this type of work. Doing something like this for a living does add a good deal to the job. I am a locksmith but will and have given this type of work to a safe tech even if I have had a few classes in safe opening.

It is locked and as you are not a locksmith there is no realistic chance that you could open it yourself without damaging it a lot. Having said that, if you are strong and large then you may be able to sledgehammer the safebody into bits, which may be awkward to dispose of afterwards. The other alternative is that after a locksmith opens it, you can have a key made and have a good strong locking box

Default Old Tann Safe

I would think by now that you have resolved this problem by now?

Though if you have not had it opened by now (drilled or Picked) Take the nameplate and escutcheon* off it and sell them on here or p.m me and I will buy the nameplate and escutcheon off you.

escutcheon is the proper term for the keyhole cover.

The gunnebo group of today would rather flog you a new safe! As per "in the good old days" Chubb, Tann or the Levy safe co would have drilled it open repaired it and left it working with two keys, It seems that today there are not that many Lockies around who want to take this sort of work on where as it used to be the bread and butter of even the bigger firms but now its "oh no we can't repair it sir/ madam its far too old you need this new model"
    I feel better now Ive had my little rant I will get on with other stuff now
    Regards to all Ant
    Last edited by Ant; 21-09-11 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typos

This why I suggested Paul.... he does it old school. There are some of us out here that do try to learn the old ways on top of the "Lets make money and that is it" methods.

Hi, there,
    If you can get someone to get the safe open without damaging the lock too much, I could make you a key if you sent me the lock.
    Timbo

So after all these years i've broken in to it. Although i now have major concerns. We cut through the lining. Do you know what compound would have been used anyone? Could it be asbestos? it seems like a powder now, with white lumps in? Could it just be plaster? Any help would be much appreciated.

The contents of the safe was mainly notebooks, it would seem the owner was a watch repair man. Sadly no Rolex's left behind! The funny thing was that there is a cheque book in there from 1991, so someone more recently then the 50's has been inside it!

Thread Information