Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tann's Defiance Safe Under my stairs. Keys?

Dear All,
    Hello, I have a Tann's Defiance Safe under my stairs. I've kind of ignored it because I've no keys. But after looking behind it (4 years after I moved in) I've found some old newspapers (1957-1960) with a few safe robberies and mentioning the 'Jelly Gang' who raided a milk depo a few streets from where I live, as well as other areas of London. So my interest in this great hunk of metal has gone up again. The newspapers probably arn't related and just happen to be there, but it does seem a large safe for an East London terraced house.
    Can anyone help me with history for this series of safe, how to get into it or even better, keys?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defiancewholelv3[1].jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	440.3 KB 
ID:	4796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brassplatekeyholemc7[1].jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	4797

Both the pics are clickable for a better view. The number stamped on the safe is 8030. I have a nice lady at Gunnebo asking some of there older service people if they remember anything, but thought I'd try here too.

Anyone?

Thanks,
    Richard

It is locked and as you are not a locksmith there is no realistic chance that you could open it yourself without damaging it a lot. Having said that, if you are strong and large then you may be able to sledgehammer the safebody into bits, which may be awkward to dispose of afterwards. The other alternative is that after a locksmith opens it, you can have a key made and have a good strong locking box

Default Old Tann Safe

I would think by now that you have resolved this problem by now?

Though if you have not had it opened by now (drilled or Picked) Take the nameplate and escutcheon* off it and sell them on here or p.m me and I will buy the nameplate and escutcheon off you.

escutcheon is the proper term for the keyhole cover.

The gunnebo group of today would rather flog you a new safe! As per "in the good old days" Chubb, Tann or the Levy safe co would have drilled it open repaired it and left it working with two keys, It seems that today there are not that many Lockies around who want to take this sort of work on where as it used to be the bread and butter of even the bigger firms but now its "oh no we can't repair it sir/ madam its far too old you need this new model"
    I feel better now Ive had my little rant I will get on with other stuff now
    Regards to all Ant
    Last edited by Ant; 21-09-11 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typos

This why I suggested Paul.... he does it old school. There are some of us out here that do try to learn the old ways on top of the "Lets make money and that is it" methods.

Thread Information