Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Iron & brass 2-stage padlock w/ split key - Help?

Hi and thanks for letting me join. I live in Lancaster, PA USA and have loved padlocks since I was a boy. I'm not a "serious" collector per-se, but moving in that direction as my antiques business brings more locks into my world.

The lock pictured below came from an auction lot. It has no markings on it anywhere I can find, although the key has a mark which I have pictured. The case is iron, and the central cylinder is brass. The iron case was originally japanned.

Besides the split key, the lock takes two stages to work. You first insert they key and it goes in a little. Then turn 90 degrees either way and it drops down another level, at which point you complete rotation to release the catch. Neat.

If anyone can tell me who made it, when (ish), and anything about rarity/value I would be most appreciative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails split_pad.jpg   split_pad_mark.jpg  

Default Re: Iron & brass 2-stage padlock w/ split key - Help?

Maker is probably Russel & Erwin Mfg Co.

Arnalls padlock collectors guide (see further reading) suggests a value of $15.

Thread Information