Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Books by Linus Yale Junior

I am currently searching for any books by Linus Yale Junior in particular the one where he describes in detail the exact process he used for decoding the Day & Newell parautoptic lock. His first book published in 1856 only gives a brief outline of the process he used and all other references I've come across are purely anecdotal. I have searched through some newspaper articles where the process is meant to be described in detail but when you find the articles the details are not there. Any help on locating any other books or articles by him would be appreciated.

Also on page 53 of "Lure of the Lock" (John M Mossman collection) are the wooden key bits those produced by Linus Yale Junior during his demonstrations of defeating the Day & Newell locks? I have "American Genius" and the CD of the collection but has anyone seen it in the flesh so to speak. Its a long way to go and visit from the UK.

Default Re: Books by Linus Yale Junior

I have seen it.

You are aware the D&N re-designed the lock after Yales method was made public ?

Not sure how he did it 100 % although I could take an eductated guess.

What did you think of the collection? Do you think its's worth a trip to see it? Did you get chance to see any of the Mossman papers? Sorry for all these questions but your the first person I've found who has seen it, cheers.

I would make the trip as part of a larger holiday. Yes it's a fabulous collection and when I saw it about 8 or so years ago the General Society did not have the benefit of the current curator & author John Erroll. So at that time the papers were not accessible at all. They may be now, an email to the society will find it's way to John eventually. Another great collection in the states is the Miller collection @ Lockmasters.

Bit of a delay in getting back to you. When you saw the Mossman collection, were the lock picks and decoding tools, in case 12, still all there and by any chance did you photograph them. I got the CD of the collection but now a lot of the tools seem to be missing or not photographed. If you have "Lure of the Lock"on page 53 I believe it shows the original wooden? cut down key bits used in opening the bank safes with Day & Newell 6 & 10 slider locks which were highlighted in Linus Yale's book " A Dissertation on Locks ad Lockpicking~etc". The angled wooden? bits would have been to get good imprints. In the book it does say from a famous lock manufacturer, and who else was known to use angled imprint readers at that time. If my hunch is right these probably were passed on by Ira L Cady brother-in-law of Linus Yale Jr. and business partner of Mossman. If anyone has any other info it would be appreciated or if this is just too far-fetched please let me know. If anyone has a photo of Robert Newell I'd appreciate it.

I found my photocopy of Yale's 1856 dissertation and while I have not re-read it in detail one point that is of interest is the number of Banks named as users of the Magic lock, which given it's fantastic rarity today does suggest a low survival rate . I do wounder whether in the long term the design proved unreliable ? or whether so very few were made in the 1st place that the handful known equates to the usual survival rate for such locks.

The dissertation would make a good addition to the site, but the time that would be required to re-type it etc exceeds my available spare time at present, altough I will add it to my ' things to do ' list ..

Default Magic Key lock

I wonder if the limited existence of the Magic Key lock is because it was picked. I believe Linus Yale Jr. picked it as did James Sargent whilst he was working with Linus YaleJr.. (This appears to be corroborated in numerous books). The technique was later honed by James Sargent though I believe the method was taught to Sargent by Linus Yale Jr.. I also believe that Robert Newell was aware of this method, which is why Yale did not pick his lock with any technique whilst Newell was alive, as Linus Yale Jr.'s locks could be opened by this technique. I do not know of anyone who uses this process of picking and have never seen it published, though in principal it is very simple. James Sargent would appear to be the last great exponent of this technique.

Help, if anyone has anymore information on the great lock pickers I'd appreciate anything you've got. I find it quite amazing what they achieved with such simple tools. Anyone got a photo of Robert Newell?

Thread Information