Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default antique mortise lock

I have an unworkable lock --there is a stamp on it that appears to say either R and B Mfg Co or B and B Mfg Co with a date April 28,1860..It is 6 1/2 High by 3/4 deep by 4 3/8 width to the face plate...the face plate is 9 1/4 by 1 5/16...A locksmith removed the lock and said there are too many broken pieces to repair..As far as I know all the pieces are present since the locksmith removed it from the door...I have attached 2 photos. I would like to purchase a replacement or have this one repaired..any help will be appreciated...roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock2.jpg   lock.jpg  

Got an internal picture showing the broken bits ? It's interesting with the two keyholes. Does the furniture (handles) have two keyholes also ?

please see the photo of the inside-When the locksmith took it out she did not put it back together but I believe all the parts are present..I don't know what you mean by "furniture"..there is a spindle and 2 knobs and that's it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock inside.jpg  

the door has 2 key holes in front--one very small and one large and there is one large key hole in the back of the door

Well, I think you need to find a different locksmith as I see no broken parts ?

It would be nice to see an inside picture where all the levers are in place. When the levers are all lying on top of eachother its hard to tell if one is broken. However, i dont see how a broken lever should be a major problem. They design is quite simple and should be easy to copy.

Do you have a key for the lock?

I don't have a key--I believe the initials are R and E --a Russell and Erwin lock ..I don't know how to put this back together..I can take more pictures if you tell me what will help..

At first glance the spindle follower (square hole) is the wrong way around. It is also very worn. The broken lever springs can be replaced but you might struggle to find an American locksmith with the correct keyblanks for this type of lock.
    Overall the labour cost will far exceed the value of the lock.
    If you let us know which area, we may be able to recommend another firm near you to give a quotation.

I am guessing the small key would have operated the Latchbolt from the outside and there probably wouldn't have been a handle on the outside originally. But don't quote me on that.
    Handles, Knobs, Escutcheons etc = furniture.

thanks to all you English lock experts..I live in Vermont, USA ..I really would like to have it repaired..If i can't find someone in the USA to do t would either of you be willing to take on the job?? thanks Roger

Thread Information