Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Need info on Slaymaker Lock!!!!

Slaymaker20220NK 1 I cant figure out how to upload pics from my computer. But anyways, I found a lock like this while metal detecting. its exactly like it. I know its a Slaymaker but other than that I know nothing. What years were these types made? What were they used on(ex. trunks, closets etc.), and any other info. Also if you show a pic of the key that would be great! Thanks in advance.

I got this pic off of google images by the way

I have no idea when your padlock was made but I can tell you that the Slaymaker Lock Co. of Lancaster, PA; known successively as S.R. Slaymaker, Slaymaker-Barry Co., Slaymaker Lock Co., Friam-Slaymaker Hardware Co. and Slaymaker Lock Co., Inc. opened in 1888 and produced high quality padlocks designed to meet every conceivable need*. They went out-of-business in 1986 after nearly a century of service. Yours appears to be a lever tumbler mechanism and would have likely used a flat steel key similar to Ilco #E375, see attached thumbnail.

*adapted from Locks and Lockmakers of America, rev. 3rd edition, by Thomas F. Hennessy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IlcoE375.jpg  

Found this blurry picture of your lock w/ a key from AntiquesNavigator...but couldn't find a patent on it.

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/eba...0762688814.jpg

I'm a fan of the older Slaymaker locks. Many look very nice and they can be collected for a fairly small investment. I can confirm what Pschiffe said regarding the key for this lock. Flat keys that fit these locks are very easy to find. Here's a lock from my collection that is similar:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slaym-001.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	7925

Almost all Slaymaker locks are notoriously easy to open. If you buy a pound or 2 of the old flat keys, they'll likely be at least a couple that work.

I recent came across a laminated steel Slaymaker I'd never seen before:

Name:	slaym-002.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	7926

But my all time favorite to date is this Fraim-Slaymaker that I've been unable to discover anything about::

Name:	slaym-003.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	7927

Default name change dates

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I have no idea when your padlock was made but I can tell you that the Slaymaker Lock Co. of Lancaster, PA; known successively as S.R. Slaymaker, Slaymaker-Barry Co., Slaymaker Lock Co., Friam-Slaymaker Hardware Co. and Slaymaker Lock Co., Inc. opened in 1888 and produced high quality padlocks designed to meet every conceivable need*. They went out-of-business in 1986 after nearly a century of service. Yours appears to be a lever tumbler mechanism and would have likely used a flat steel key similar to Ilco #E375, see attached thumbnail.

*adapted from Locks and Lockmakers of America, rev. 3rd edition, by Thomas F. Hennessy
    do you know when the name changers were made??

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    do you know when the name changers were made??
    Sorry, no; the cited reference does not include dates although there is more info about the company on pgs. 75-76 if interested.

Pete Schifferli

Default OK thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Sorry, no; the cited reference does not include dates although there is more info about the company on pgs. 75-76 if interested.

Pete Schifferli
    if I find out I will post it here. It would be valuable to collectors to date their locks and keys

Default slaymaker lock company evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    if I find out I will post it here. It would be valuable to collectors to date their locks and keys
    I had some information in my RAILWAY PASS & GUIDE magazine published in in 1989

1888 - 1890 S.R. Slaymaker?
    1890 - July 2, 1894 Slaymaker, Barry & Co
    July 3, 1894 - 1900 Slaymaker Barry Co sold out to The Baldwin Automobile Manufacturing Co
    In 1900 Samual R. Slaymaker purchased the original Lancaster property and went back in business
    1900 - October 23, 1907 S.R. Slaymaker
    October 24, 1907 - February 24, 1917 Slaymaker Lock Manufacturing Corp. (company dissolved)
    In 1917 SR Slaymaker and WE Fraim formed a new company
    1917 -1921 Slaymaker Lock Co in 1921 WE Fraim bought out SR Slaymaker
    1921 - 1929?? Fraim-Slaymaker Co

not sure of the 1929 endpoint and Slaymaker came back in the picture and the company lasted until 1986

Default Need info on Slaymaker Lock!!!!

Not sure if the patent number but look close enough to match the padlock you have.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information