Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Trash or Sell?

Default Trash or Sell?

I was left with this old safe. It is VERY heavy, the combination and key were lost before it came into my possession. I want to try to find a buyer if it is a piece that someone would want, but otherwise will take and sell by the pound.
    If I should sell it, how much is a fair price and how do I find a buyer?
    Thanks for any and all help!
    Kate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

I don't see anything about the safe that would justify paying shipping fees. Look to your local market for buyers that could pick it up. Craigslist with free listings are a good option.
    I would list it between 275-300 for a while and see what happens, but would expect it to sell closer to $225-250. Combo can be found easily enough but getting a working key for the inside could cost them around $50. imo

Don't expect to get anything for it as scrap. Most of the mass in a safe is concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Don't expect to get anything for it as scrap. Most of the mass in a safe is concrete.
    Over here in some yards it doesn't matter what you take in, as long as it has metal on it somewhere you can weigh it in as mixed/light steel scrap.
    You just tip it all of the back and they don't usually have time to sort through it. The only thing I ever had rejected was a gas cylinder. And that was only because the bloke had time to look for once.

One day in a load of light and cast I weighed in a solid concrete garden roller - probably a couple of hundred kilos - it had hardly any metal left on it apart from the cast handles! At the current price for light (about £30 a tonne) they don't really care anyway.

Anyway back to the subject - it's a safe that is too good to scrap. As suggested above, sell locally and get what you can for it, to someone who will hopefully appreciate it.

Which also answers the question in a different way. A 1 ton safe is a heavy unit. Why would anybody move such a monster if the value is as low as 30 quid?

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Which also answers the question in a different way. A 1 ton safe is a heavy unit. Why would anybody move such a monster if the value is as low as 30 quid?
    You've not met the locals...

True, I haven't.

I wish I had contact details for people who will move, load and schlepp a ton for 30 quid!

Thread Information