Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Fake/counterfeit Good Luck padlock

I've been buying and collecting padlocks for over 40 years now and I thought I could tell a fake a mile away, well this past week I got duped big time. I'm making this post to make you all aware of the latest fake/counterfeit lock on the market. The lock in question is a Good Luck horseshoe padlock that was origionally made by the Slaymaker lock company. I picked this up on ebay and the seller never claimed that it was an origional or 100 years old or any other missleading statement, only that it was an old working lock with an origional working key. The pictures on the listing weren't real close up or highly detailed, which didn't help, but at the time I never suspected it to be a fake. Upon receipt of my lock, I started to have second thoughts. This lock looks like it was brand new. There was absolutely no nicks, dents, or scratches on it anywhere!
    It is a very good copy of the Slaymaker version, however there are a few telltale signs that are different. 1st thing is the finish on the whole lock. It has a sanded finish, that you can plainly see up close. 2nd is the keyhole barrell that the key slides into. On a true origional Slaymaker the barrell is dimpled in, where as this lock the face is flat. 3rd is a casting flaw in the circle around the keyhole. On the fake there is a glob of brass extending into the circle and on the fake at the open end of the horseshoe there is a diagonal line cast into it. To confirm my suspicions I did a search on previous sales of this lock on ebay and found several locks sold lately from several different sellers. The thing was all the locks looked identical with the same casting flaws and identical keys. Somebody went to a lot of work to reproduce this lock and actually did a fantastic job, however it's still a fake/counterfeit and not worth near what a origional antique version is worth. Buyer beware!! Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails good luck fake padlock 001.jpg   good luck fake padlock 002.jpg   good luck fake padlock 004.jpg   good luck fake padlock 008.jpg   good luck fake padlock 011.jpg  

Mark A. Billesbach

Default fake Good Luck padlock

Thank's Mark for the heads up. I think that I have one of the original's. I'll have to locate it and check.. I've had it a long time, so I think it's the real deal...
    Are these fakes relatively new?.........Donnie

Donnie, I really don't know how long they've been out there on the market. My ebay search of past sales indicates they have been selling several in the last couple of months. Like I said in my origional post, I thought I could spot a fake, but this is the first time I've really been duped, oh well, live and learn. I just hope others don't get burned. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Thanks

Almost bought a fake replica of the Good Luck Padlock Made by slaymaker
    Thanks to you I was not duped!!! 28clap29

Mark

Sorry you were stitched up like this but it happens to the best of us at some time or other :{
    If it is not too embarrassing, how much did it cost you?

Phil

Phil, It's been a while since I bought this and I don't keep records, but I'm thinking it was over $50.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Fake/counterfeit Good Luck padlock

Mark..I know that you show the front of the lock but does the back off the lock same or differ...Timothy....

Timothy, in the original post, the first two photos show both the front and the back of the lock.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information