Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Need help unlocking antique wardrobe - lost key

Hello,

My boyfriend purchased an antique wardrobe on craigslist with a lock and key door. In transit he lost the key to the wardrobe. I have a beautiful, locked, wardrobe that I would love to put to use.

I had a locksmith come to try and open it but he said he didn't have the tools and didn't even know who else to recommend for this type of thing. The other locksmiths I have phoned are asking for more money than I would like to spend so I am hoping a locksmith won't be necessary.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of key will open this wardrobe from the few photos that I have. From what I can see there is a protruding part in the middle of the keyhole, and then the indentations are in the shape of clock hands indicating 3:30.

Any other tips you have on how to get into this piece are welcome. I've had others suggest that a hollow barreled skeleton key may work but from my online research, that doesn't really narrow down the options. The keyhole is approximately 1 cm wide, 2 cm tall, and 2.8 cm long. This is not my area of expertise so I am thankful for any help you can provide.

The photos are of the key in the lock (not super helpful I realize), the keyhole, and the lit up interior of the keyhole.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1175.jpg   IMG_1173.jpg   3Ea3Id3H65Lf5Hb5M4d4ed6009045ab4a1ff4.jpg  

Not all locksmiths are the same in skills. You need a locksmith that is able to do Bit key and lever lock work. So I would call around for that skill set. If I knew what city you were in I might know a locksmith or one on here might know. Don't post more than the City / Provence as it isn't needed to narrow the search.

Looking at the pictures it looks like a lock made in the last 100-80 years as it was designed to be installed in two positions. I would hazard a guess that this lock maybe very simple in that any key that has the right ward cuts and the right blade height might work. So you could try a key from online or find a local locksmith that has bit keys and try a few precut keys before having him come out. I know in the shop I work in we have about 4-6 keys that might fit that pattern. It would be cheaper to call around and find a shop near you.

Thank you!

I'm in Vancouver, BC.

It will definitely be helpful to know what type of skill set I'm looking for. I will call around and see what I can find. Thanks for your advice. If you do know of any one in my area who specializes in these kinds of locks, I'm happy for any references.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    Not all locksmiths are the same in skills. You need a locksmith that is able to do Bit key and lever lock work. So I would call around for that skill set. If I knew what city you were in I might know a locksmith or one on here might know. Don't post more than the City / Provence as it isn't needed to narrow the search.

Looking at the pictures it looks like a lock made in the last 100-80 years as it was designed to be installed in two positions. I would hazard a guess that this lock maybe very simple in that any key that has the right ward cuts and the right blade height might work. So you could try a key from online or find a local locksmith that has bit keys and try a few precut keys before having him come out. I know in the shop I work in we have about 4-6 keys that might fit that pattern. It would be cheaper to call around and find a shop near you.

I am sorry to say that the locksmiths I know in BC are not close to there. One is in Victoria and the the other is in Chilliwack. No help either way.

If you do call around make sure you find someone with a store front as they will have been around and you know where they are to get the precut key before you have them come out. As I said I think this isn't a lever lock more than a simple warded lock.

If you can get your hand on a few keys to try because their are not that many permutations if you are still struggling let me know and I will give you another solution non destructive all the best jason

Default wardrobe lock

This does not look to me to be antique furniture. It looks utilitarian from the 1920/30's (so not that much older than me). In Britain, two very common wardrobe lock makes are ASRO and Ashtree. The locks are simple, with one tumbler. Any locksmith with experience of warded cabinet locks should be able to fashion a skeleton to help you - or might well have a suitable precut bit key. At best, it will likely be a 2-lever lock; again, not many differs to try. Locksmiths might have a box of loose keys; so might a s/h furniture dealer.

If the furniture is not a valuable antique piece, there is a method of forcibly removing the lock which will do little damage, and can be easily repaired. Then some replacemnt lock could be fitted, if needed. Most antique furniture dealers will know this, so will locksmiths. (It's no great secret, but I'm not going to be one to spread it around the Net.)

Quote Originally Posted by lbdonnelly View Post
    Thank you!

I'm in Vancouver, BC.

It will definitely be helpful to know what type of skill set I'm looking for. I will call around and see what I can find. Thanks for your advice. If you do know of any one in my area who specializes in these kinds of locks, I'm happy for any references.

Take care.
    I know of 3 locksmiths in Vancouver who are members of ALOA, you might try them.
    BBE.

Safe & Secure Locksmith, 604-377-7208
    Silverline Security Locksmith, 604-904-0922
    Broadway Locksmith, 604-879-8720

Thread Information