Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Some more identify and price querys ...

I'm unsure of makers names as well as suggested prices? Any helpful info appreciated ... thanks Sarah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copy of Tann possible.jpg   Copy of Plaque 1.jpg   Copy of Escutcheon 1.jpg   Copy of Escutcheon 2.jpg  

Default Re: Some more identify and price querys ...

Hi you don't know Dave Weir do you? I have one of those safes. The lock has Jackson on it. I don't know if this is the make or not.
    Noel

They are all 'generic' plates, used by many low-grade manufacturers - probably all by the same casting company.

Quote Originally Posted by Locky
    Hi you don't know Dave Weir do you? I have one of those safes. The lock has Jackson on it. I don't know if this is the make or not.
    Noel
    Hi Noel - yes, we have met Dave. He is here in Blenheim also. Where are you? Are you able to post a picture of your safe? Would be cool to look at. Cheers Sarah

Hi Sarah. I am just over the water in Wellington. The safe is not looking too good at the moment as it has been stripped. One of my works in progress. I am just having a Milner safe painted at the moment I will post some photos when it is done.

Wohoo - another Kiwi on the member list! I think we must just about have the most members per capita. We are particularly interested in Milner Safes - as you may know from my previous posts? I currently have three here, and my father has one in Auckland. All in various stages of repair/refurb. I've come to a bit of a standstill though - having problems stripping paint from the door pan - any suggestions or products you would recommend? Cheers for now - Sarah

Hi Sarah. What I have done is used the 3M stripping wheels to take all the paint of the body these will probably work OK on the inside too. I hear that there is a place in Auckland that can make new transfers for the back of the door if you need them. I have sent my safe to a panel beater to be painted. They need to bog the body then prime and paint for me. This costs about $500.00 so is not cheap. I thought about painting it myself but would probably pay about the same and get an average job. Stick to what I know. How have you done yours? I dont know if there is any money in doing these up but they look cool when done. Do you know Bryan at Levco? Are you in the locksmithing trade? He has done some really really nice ones.
    Talk soon.
    Noel

On the subject of painting, there is a firm in the UK that restores lots of antique safes, they finish them by ' Stove Enamelling '

http://www.belowstairs.co.uk

BTW - If either of you happen to see Dave, remind him gently that I am still waiting for my christmas present ....

He he - yes we'll remind Dave if/when we next see him. However - latest news around the block is that he has sold his business here in Blenheim, but has bought another locksmithing business and is on the move to Auckland. I haven't managed to verify this - so if any of you are speaking with Dave in the meant ime it might be good to check with him. Ciao Sarah

I did speak with Dave, and he has confirmed what you said re selling up etc ..

Thread Information