Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Ancient lock to identify - help please !

Hello
    Please see attached foto of my ancient lock.
    Can somebody help me and tell me about its origin, age, etc?
    That would be great!
    Thanks in advance
    David
    Belgium
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lock.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dlories View Post
    Hello
    Please see attached foto of my ancient lock.
    Can somebody help me and tell me about its origin, age, etc?
    That would be great!
    Thanks in advance
    David
    Belgium
    I think its origin is Holland but i am not confirmed i think following is resource from where you can get some information related to this.
    http://jvpoll.home.xs4all.nl/wdo/ROME/ARAPAC.HTM

regards
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colin222 View Post
    I think its origin is Holland but i am not confirmed i think following is resource from where you can get some information related to this.
    http://jvpoll.home.xs4all.nl/wdo/ROME/ARAPAC.HTM

regards
    thanks
    Colin,
    Thanks but the link you are referring to is about "ROME"...correct? Tks David

Default Ancient lock to identify - please help!

You have a very interesting and old lock, but it is definately not ancient. It's could be medieval or Renaissance. I'm intrigued with the double keyholes. Can the lock be opened to view the mechanism? Are the keyholes on both sides or only on one side? The design on the lock case looks like a monogram with a crown over it, but I don't recognize it. Additional pictures might provide a hint to its age.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    You have a very interesting and old lock, but it is definately not ancient. It's could be medieval or Renaissance. I'm intrigued with the double keyholes. Can the lock be opened to view the mechanism? Are the keyholes on both sides or only on one side? The design on the lock case looks like a monogram with a crown over it, but I don't recognize it. Additional pictures might provide a hint to its age.
    Many many thanks for your reply. I have attached more pics of the lock. Yes the keyholes are on both sides. The dimension is 22,5cm x 15cm. It would be great if you could tell me more about it. Thanks ! David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3883a.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	6884

Name:	IMG_3891a.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	468.2 KB 
ID:	6885
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3885a.jpg  

Your lock is known as a rim lock. That means it's mounted on the inside of the door with the fancy side showing. A long key would need to be used to pass through the thickness of the door and engage the lock. There are no posts within the keyholes, so we know it used a solid stem key. I found the duel keyholes puzzling, but I think I have an idea how it was used. The bit (i.e. the key's flag-like projection) was irregular as opposed to the two sides being mirror images of each other. This meant that it could not be operated from both sides with the same key if there was only a single keyhole. Hence, the need for two keyholes with the same ward pattern that could be used on either side of the door. (A ward is an obstruction that blocks the key from turning unless a corresponding cut is made on the key.) This is my guess as to it's age (for whatever it's worth). It's very primitive features suggests to me a date of 1500's or earlier. I know I'm being a bit speculative, but I hope this helps anyway. Scott

Quote Originally Posted by dlories View Post
    Many many thanks for your reply. I have attached more pics of the lock. Yes the keyholes are on both sides. The dimension is 22,5cm x 15cm. It would be great if you could tell me more about it. Thanks ! David

Name:	IMG_3883a.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	6884

Name:	IMG_3891a.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	468.2 KB 
ID:	6885
    Thank you Scott. Your explaination is very interesting. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge about it! Any idea about its origin?

Sorry David, I can't give you a definitive answer concerning its origin. At first I thought it might be Spanish. Spanish locks tend to show a strong Gothic influence (as seen in the archtectual features on the lock), and are not as intricate and ornate as their French and Italian counterparts. And, of course, we both know that the Spanish Hapsburgs once ruled Belgium. However, even if there is some Spanish stylistic influence, I believe it was most likely made by a local locksmith from Belgium or the Netherlands. But, of course, this is more speculation on my part. Take it for what it's worth.

Thread Information