Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default German Postal Padlock with double bitted key and 5 levers!

I recently got this padlock as a gift by a German collector. It was a surprise gift and I was VERY happy to receive it :)
    I have a passion for padlocks with double sided keys this is one of my favorite now! It has 5 levers and was probably used by the German postal service.

More information may follow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.Altes Bundespost Vorhängeschloss.JPG  
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 02-05-13 at 03:39 AM.

You lucky dog! Nice lock!

Thanks Dean!

But I think I have to correct myself it is 5 Levers of course. I did forgot it is one lever each for two cuts and the cuts are symmetrically. If someone could correct my topic please?

• H/262 - probably the key number as the same key number is also on the key
    • BP - Bundes Post (German federal postal service)
    • 1/86 - probably the year and month of production
    • Ymos - the manufacturer

The plans for those padlocks which are the same then the ones used from The German Reich, came from the German Bundespost. The manufacturer only produced the padlock according to their plans. There were also other manufacturers that produced this lock like Bode Panzer for example. If I remember correctly the Bode Panzer padlock looked similar to mine but had a weather protective keyway cover (metal). The Bundespost used those padlocks on the back of their pony trailers to secure them. The padlock was used a long with a hasp. The Bundespost stopped using these padlock in the 90s.

I hope you enjoy this information :)

Adrian, I do have also one padlock from Ymos. It also does not have a key hole cover, but it has scratches which came from a key hole cover. So I think your padlock had also a key hole cover in its youth.

Thread Information