Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Cool Hello from edsmiley!

Long time lurker, decided to finally sign up for the site. I have quite a diverse collection from older locks to newer, high security locks. Was looking to connect with some people who are into lock history and would love to learn what I can from them.

I am a member of both the ALCA and the WCLCA, who put out great publications, but don't seem to be interested in interaction outside the few lock shows that go on throughout the year.

Looking forward to contributing where I can!

Thanks,
    Ed

Hello Ed, welcome to the forum.

Welcome aboard Ed, please feel free to post pictures of your locks, especially the older padlocks. Like you I'm really into antique padlocks, but I still have a passion for the modern high security padlocks as well. Lately I've been collecting padlocks,(old and modern) with oddball key styles and locking mechanisms. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

I am a member of both the ALCA and the WCLCA
    Interesting I never heard of them before!
    Welcome mate :)

I am only a member of the Historical Association of the German Bank. They publish some really nice books but most of them only in Germany. No book about their vaults yet but I was planning to change that some day :P

Dicey, ALCA is American Lock Collectors Association of which I'm also a member and WCLCA is West Coast Lock Collectors Association of which I once was a member, but no longer am. Both of which are great organizations,and both put out great news letter/magazines. However unless you live on either the east or west coast of the US, it gets pretty expensive to attend the shows that they sponser. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

ALCA: http://www.alca.us/

WCLCA: http://wclca.org/

I believe there is a European lock show this year in Dublin, September 6-8. I don't have a web site for the show but the contact is PeterFriedhelm von Knorre.

Well I will definitely be there with stuff in th eboot of the car-all booked. Who else is going?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    Welcome aboard Ed, please feel free to post pictures of your locks, especially the older padlocks. Like you I'm really into antique padlocks, but I still have a passion for the modern high security padlocks as well. Lately I've been collecting padlocks,(old and modern) with oddball key styles and locking mechanisms. Mark
    Sure, I will post some pictures. However, most of my locks I only consider "old" and not antique. I am into locks for the mechanisms, security, and the history. I probably only have a handful of locks that I paid over $50 for, and some of those are high security modern locks.

I will post pictures as long as people want to see them! Thanks for the reply Mark.

Ed

Sorry for assuming everyone knew what ALCA and WCLCA meant, thanks to Wylk for posting the links.

I am a bit up the road from the Lancaster Lock Show that happens over the summer. I went last year and had a great time, but quickly realized I am not in the same league as some of these guys with their collections. They are great locks to look at and hear about.

I am glad I stumbled upon this site. Outside of the journals and shows, I don't see any other interactions (forums, smaller get-togethers, etc) out of the Associations.

I see that there is a for sale forum here, and the journals talk about all the fakes and issues with Ebay. Where else do you guys get your locks? I have traded plenty on the KeyPicking lockpicking forum, but there are not too many people interested or that have older locks. I have tried antiques places and flea markets, but all I seem to find is something that is appropriately priced (a lock that is work $200 priced at $200) or not-appropriately priced "vintage" locks (a rusty old 1980's master lock that they made probably millions of for $25).

Thanks!
    Ed

Ed, I know where yo're coming from. When I started buying padlocks on ebay,10+ years back, a person could find all kinds of old, rare valuable working locks for very reasonable prices. But then as ebay became more and more popular, especially with collectors, the prices have continued to skyrocket, to where now it gets pretty hard to find a bargain priced lock. However, they're still out there and if I find the one I want, I will usually spend the money, because I know the rare ones may never show up again. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information