Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think I found what is causing this to bind. It appears the spring has worked its way down the shaft and is binding on the gear face.

Is disassembly the only option?

Attachment 19471

Well - I was wrong about binding on the gear face. I cut the obstruction off with a blade and it's still binding. I'm guessing something is stuck inside the shaft/tube.

I tried heat with a propane torch and got no better results. I can use a hotter torch tomorrow.

If disassembly is required, does anyone have any words of caution/advice?

The two I have taken apart have been the same design made of 3 parts, fence, tube and a tiny flat spring. The tube is machined down very thin at one end. This end is then slotted across leaving two curved sections that are then bent over after assembled. Getting under these bends and straightening them up is extremely difficult without damage. Since work hardening occured in bending them, read up on annealing copper and brass before trying to straighten them.

Well I melted the gear (using my OA torch) but I did get the tube out.

No flat spring inside. Nor is there a channel where I expected the spring to sit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6878.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	19487

Name:	IMG_6879.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	19488

Name:	IMG_6880.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	19489

Yes brass does melt at a lower temperature than steel, if that is all you are used to working with. But heat control can be learned and I guess you had your first lesson. But all is not lost. Send the parts to the Cleveland Key Shop 1628 St. Clair Ave. Cleveland, OH 44114 I will see if it can be repaired or I probably have a replacement. Send to my attention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180225_164757.jpg  

Doug,

Thank you. I'll send a PM.

I was waiting for the brass to turn red and it blew through the gear (which I wasn't even targeting with the torch) and then melted in about 1 second. It never turned red. Live and learn.

David

Doug,

I just received the lock and newly constructed fence. I can honestly say you are as much an artist as a very talented technician.

Thank you so much.

David

Thread Information