Hello fellow lock hounds,

It took me a while but I have managed to get my hands on a Mosler 5H friction fence lock with all the parts including the combination wheels which were not easy to track down. My serial number is 358 and is stamped on most of the parts. The lock came off a safe a farmer had in an Indiana field and I had him remove it for me before he scrapped the safe and sold off the other parts to other interested parties.

The lock case is glossy black but has seen better days and although the brass parts are easy enough to degrease, polish, lubricate and put back together, the lock case and tube paint is chipped and I am not sure what process to use to strip them and repaint them.

It almost looks like it is baked on enamel or porcelain, I would like to get the same look again, just not sure if I can use chemical strippers or if I need to have it sand blasted. I don't want to do anything to the inside of the lock case, and mine is the kind that is one piece, it does not have a cover and no 4 corner screws. I hope to post some photos tonight so show you my progress.

I had pretty good luck last year refinishing a Yale 0700 lock and dial and I used automotive high gloss enamel on the dial, then I baked it in the oven. After that I used white Testors model paint to paint in the numbers on the dial and I wiped off the eccess. Because the black paint was baked on it didnt bleed when I wiped off the white. Dial came out looking like new.

I'd like to hear your ideas on repainting the old cast Mosler lock case, thank you.

Squelchtone