Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old safe J & J Taylor, Toronto safe works. (Pictures)

Hi everyone,

I don't know if it's the good place to post it but I try. First, excuse my poor English, I'm a French speaking from Québec in Canada.

I have an old safe from J & J Taylor but I'm not able to find any picture of a nice an original safe. Mine is in bad shape and I will try to restore it. I would like to see what is looked like when it was brand new. The peint, the letters, the colors... Do you have some pictures of this kind of safe ou do you have an idea of where I can get some data on these safe?

I'll let you some pictures of my safe.

The safe with the door close.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	249029580.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1399

The safe with the door open.

Name:	249029590.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	1400

The details of the door thicknest.

Name:	249030366.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1401

The details of the inside.

Name:	249029587.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	1402

The mecanism.

Name:	249030367.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	1403

Name:	249030364.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	1404

The details of one leg.

Name:	249029584.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1405

If you have any information about this safe, I'll appreciated all input on this. If you have any ideas on where the serial number should be written, please let me know. I'll try to found it but still no luck... I would like to find the date of production but the most important thing for me is to find a picture of an original safe to fix it like how it was.

Thanks.

Martin

Default Re: Old safe J & J Taylor, Toronto safe works. (Pictures)

Hi

Re your safe.

I have a strong feeling that your safe is not what it seems.

The safe might be a 1980'/1990's Data media fire safe, that has been inserted onto an old body: The fold over of the steel seams and shape of the door back pan/jamb look too modern.
    However one thought arises.
    It looks like there are wheels attached to the fillagre base. I know of an Asian manufacturer who used/uses these on their fire safes. They are called SUN. Perhaps your safe may have been made to look old!!

Look forward to your reply
    Kind regards
    Russell Stoner-Director
    Withy Grove
    http://www.withygrovesafes.net

I have a similar safe from J&J Taylor, about 60 years old, locked without combination. 1) is it possible to open without drilling? Drilling costs about $400. 2) Is there any monetary or historical value to this safe? We are a public institution with a small corporate museum. If its worth keeping, we will. If it's less expensive to open it, we will. otherwise, it will be scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner
    Hi

Re your safe.

I have a strong feeling that your safe is not what it seems.

The safe might be a 1980'/1990's Data media fire safe, that has been inserted onto an old body: The fold over of the steel seams and shape of the door back pan/jamb look too modern.
    However one thought arises.
    It looks like there are wheels attached to the fillagre base. I know of an Asian manufacturer who used/uses these on their fire safes. They are called SUN. Perhaps your safe may have been made to look old.
    Russell, this safe is completely typical of it;s type and is certainly not a repro, or new safe made to look old !

npmartin Guest

You safe IS what it seems. I have a J.&J. Taylor Safeworks of Toronto safe which is almost identical to yours. Mine was the business safe of the Toronto Sugar & Syrup Refinery in 1885 during the great fire which devastated the refinery and a large area of Toronto on Aug 3rd of that year. The inside configuration of shelves of my safe is slight different than yours, but similar. The dimensions of your safe are probably 45"h x 28"d x 30.5"w. It may also say "Taylor, Toronto, Est. 1855" on the combination wheel. Although all the paint was burned off the exterior of my safe and was repainted, I have come across a photo of another identical to it. It is posted along with a photo of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JJTaylorSafe2.jpg  

Lucky you, you have a very nice safe. You just reminded me that I have forgotten to update the post. I made a wonderful discovery. In trying to repaint mine, I took a steel wire brush to remove the old black paint. Once I finished that work, I have found the original paint work. Some parts are missing but it still interesting. There is a sailboat on it. I will try to post new pictures of my safe.

Martin

Thread Information