Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: George L. Damon

Default Damon Safe

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a Damon safe I have. It is about 3'x3'x3', has two dials, has been closed for anywere from 20-100 years, and I do not know the combination. It is in what used to be the office of an old mill building in New England. If I hire a locksmith to open it, I am worried he will damage the safe. Is there a way to open it myself?

I would attempt to crack the combination myself (by listening for clicks, etc.), but I'm not sure how a two dial safe differs from a single dial. Are there two sets of 3 numbers (6 total), or would it require one number on each dial (two total)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    rpd92,

Damon frequently used dual locks to avoid lockouts on his safes. The correct combination on either one of the dials will open it. The lock will be a 4 wheel (4 number combination). Can you post photos? Also, I sent you a PM.

Ryan

I stumbled across a beautiful image of the door at Cipriani Club Residences, 55 Wall Street. The image below is reduced in size, the full-size image can be accessed via: http://machareimages.files.wordpress...dsc_8614-2.jpg and in particular http://machareimages.files.wordpress...dsc_8614-2.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cipriani2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	10450

The image also clarifies that it is a double-door arrangement. And that they appear to be in very good condition.

My mistake, in my previous post about the Cipriani door, the first URL should read:

http://machareimages.wordpress.com/

I recently ran across an interesting panoramic view of the George Damon vault at SpringHill Suites in Baltimore (which was discussed earlier):

Name:	SpringHill Suites Baltimore 3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	16789

I see they have re-carpeted the area. Many more images are at http://www.open.tours/single-post/20...ult-Board-Room including a Google virtual tour.

Default Damon Door in Allentown, Pennsylvania

In Allentown, Pennsylvania, there is a former bank (Lehigh Valley Trust Company, founded 1886) which is now an event venue called Vault 634. There is a York door but the star of the show (for me) is a beautiful George Damon door. The boltwork is unusual and unlike other Damon doors we've seen. This example seems to be missing its lock. I suspect it is an elaboration of his US patent 609,416 (sheet 2) which was issued August 23, 1898. Part of the boltwork seems to be hidden. The corresponding vault is now a bar. (That's not me in the third image).

Name:	634 Hamilton - Allentown PA 7.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	611.7 KB 
ID:	22499 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	634 Hamilton - Allentown PA 8.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	418.6 KB 
ID:	22500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	634 Hamilton - Allentown PA 6.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	22501

Another image of the Allentown door --

Name:	634 Hamilton - Allentown PA 9.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	648.8 KB 
ID:	22502

That Damon door is really nice. I might have to make road trip to see that one up close.

I found a few Damon patents not listed here:

• 115445 IMPROVEMENT IN PERMUTATION LOCKS
    • 115714 IMPROVEMENT IN DEVICES FOR OPERATING SAFE DOORS - Invented with Hiram B. Tripp; possibly Benjamin F. Tripp's relative?
    • 125180 IMPROVEMENT IN PERMUTATION LOCKS
    • 132068 IMPROVEMENT IN POCKET-BOOK TO PREVENT THE DESTRUCTION OF PAPERS BY FIRE - Invented with Edward W. Glover
    • 199699 LAMP - Patent Assignee
    • 356547 BOLT WORK FOR THE DOORS OF SAFES, VAULTS, ETC - Patent Assignee
    • 668783 TIME LAMPLIGHTING APPARATUS - Patent Assignee
    • RE4389 A reissue of 102,780

The patent # 120780 is transposed below, the patent # is 102780

Some interesting info:

901710 MOVEABLE VENTILATOR FOR VAULTS (1908) - Invented with Frederick S. Holmes when he was in private practice.

575705 CLOSURE FOR SAFES OR VAULTS (1897) is the first patent I have seen for cylindrical vaults. Frederick S. Holmes was General Superintendent at Damon Safe & Iron Works (Boston, MA and Philadelphia, PA) from 1887-1895. The application for the patent was filed in 1895 so it's quite possible Holmes was aware of the design and may have inspired his design (along with Remington & Sherman's cylindrical vault patent 1478085 in 1923) of the NY Fed's cylindrical vault built in 1924.

There is enough info on Damon here to create his Wikipedia article...

Thread Information