Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Mystery Chest!

Default Mystery Chest!

I'm trying to figure out whatever information I can about this chest.My parents gave it to me as a gift one year for Christmas and I wanted to learn its history,but cannot find anything about it.It's about 36 inches wide,28-30 inches tall,and around 24 inches deep.It has "star lock works Phila." on the star in the middle that hide the key lock.The key apparently would open the locks simultaneously.I do not have a key for it and after talking with other lock companies and passing back many keys,none could be found.It also has the patent dates "9 May 54, Feb.67 May58 and Nov. 70" on it.It has a humpback lid and there are two compartments in the inside of the lid.Please let me know if you have any information about it.It's not letting me add photos so I'll understand if no one can get any information for me,but any ideas would be great!

Pictures may help here as well as close ups of the lock inside and out. I will see if I can track down any of the patents. Doug

Default Pictures!

I finally managed to get the pictures to load.There's a close up of the lock that shows that when you move the key it reveals the key hole.The one other picture shows the inside with the two compartments in the lid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 trunk pictures 001.JPG   new trunk picture.jpg   new inside pic of trunk.jpg   new large trunk pic.jpg  

I have gone over 19 patents from those years and have not found exact matches for all 4, and a Charles Liebrich is the only one that matches into the 1854 and the 1870 date. I also found several Liebrichs including Charles in Phila. listed locksmiths. Hillebrand and Uitting were two other names that were connected with Liebrich. I have not found anything on Star Iron Works. Nice lock on that chest, by the way. Doug

I've been trying to look for anything similar to that chest but I just can't seem to find one. Anyway, have you asked your parents any single information about that chest?

Default Mystery Chest!

Star Lock Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was founded by Conrad Liebrich, an immigrant from Germany, in 1836. The firm produced both padlocks and trunk locks. His earliest locks were marked "C. Liebrich, Phila." After he retired in 1869, his partners changed the name to Star Lock Works. Most lock collectors are familiar with their Scandinavian padlock.

You have a very nice trunk and lock.
    It has been taken care of.
    Congradulations!

I can't contribute to helping you find the history of this trunk, but I have to add my congrats on receiving such a beautiful piece. It's in fantastic condition! I hope you make that a showpiece in a room and not hide it in a corner somewhere.

Thread Information