Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default c. 1820 lock history

Hi,

I am currently restoring my circa 1820 home in Massachusetts (USA). I've been trying to determine what sort of lock/latch I should use on my doors to be fairly historically accurate. The choice seems to be between the cast iron latch type and rim locks. Only problem is that I'm having some difficulty dating when rim locks first appeared (at least on house doors). I've seen some dates around 1860 for rim locks. I've looked all over the Internet without much luck. Anyone have any help?

Thanks,
    Brad

Default Rim Locks c1820

There are some nice brass cased rim locks around this period (some I've seem date from c.1720 to about 1830. They can have a dead bolt operated by the key, a spring bolt worked by the door handle and a slide bolt. These would be likely to have a key with a large Georgian (metal ring) bow. They are probably best looked for at antique fairs; perhaps some turn up on eBay, etc and you might consider a modern reproduction

Of course these old locks do not provide the degree of security now required! Around this period apart from iron rim locks, there were wooden stock or plate locks (the metal back plate that holds the lock mechanism for c1800 would to have a dovetail appearance).

Thread Information