Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Carron Safe

Default Carron Safe

Hi, I found a carron safe and key in my new house. There is some sort of plate over the keyhole which I can't move. How does this open? I don't want to break anything so thought I'd check here before I get the hammer out!

Thanks
    Allan

Pictures would be most helpful in helping you so we can see what you have.

Sorry, not the best picture but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe.JPG  

It's a very small picture ~!

Anyway - it's probably a concealed keyhole, check the four roundmarks - one of those if pressed or moved should open the keyhole flap.

Like Paul said it is most likely a concealed keyhole, if what Paul said doesn't work, look for a small hole about 1mm in diameter on the sides or bottom and push a pin of equal or less diameter into it and it should spring open revealing the keyhole, more photo's would be really helpful as well as the size of them.

Kit Bear

If you do a search on here for Carron safe you will find Darryl's postings on a sliding escutcheon he repaired. I am not that familiar with English or in this case Scottish safes but I see that Carron goes way back into the 1700's. Since in the 1700's it was common to trick out the locking mechanisms, I would not be surprised that earlier Carron safes may have done this. Unfortunately your safe has been repainted, covering up any signs of possible wear that may lead to discovery of any tricks that may have been used outside of the escutcheon itself. Paul and Kitbear have given two possible methods. So now that my curiosity has been aroused, have you succeeded in getting it open? Doug

At the bottom of the escutcheon there should be a round pin sticking up (about 4mm dia) it looks as if it is a stop pin . this pin needs to be depressed to allow movement of the escutcheon.

Sorry about the above post, I did not see the pic. Carron usually put in a spring loaded device to decieve . It may be one of the escutcheon screws that has to be depressed

I suspect the escutcheon is now rusted closed - the opening trick is usually simple and the spring not strong. A little penetrating oil (Plusgas A) might help.

Thread Information