Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Decent Cast key suppliers

Anyone know of a company or person that can supply decent cast key blanks. I have just ordered some from one of the few wholesalers that supply locksmiths and the quality of the castings is very bad. On questioning the company about the poor quality, I was told that "they are all like that". Any help to get hold of decent ones would be appriciated.
    Thanks
    T.

Cabinet or rim blanks ?

Rim blanks I gave up on years ago and turned to fabricating my own, cabinet are another matter and there is (maybe was - my info is rather out of date) a company making some nice blanks in the north of england.

Thanks Oldlock,
    I am after a Cast Rim Lock Blank to match one I have from a customer. Brian Morland has mailed me and he has some blanks, but is checking if he has the right one. Do you know the name of the company that used to make them in the north of the U.K. ? I could then check if they are still in business and making them.
    Thanks again for the reply.
    Tim

Hi,

If you get really stuck, I may be able to make you a key from scratch. You can see the quality of my work in my thread in the casket thread where I made my own key.

Kind regards,

Thanks Darryl, I will bear that in mind.

Tim

We used quite a few cast blanks from Ilco at a lock shop I worked at a few years ago. They seemed usable. I would think there is an Ilco stockist or agent in your neck o' the woods.

I'm afraid there is no stockist anywhere near me. Still looking for a decent supplier though.i

With luck, one of the other folks here knows of one or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I'm afraid there is no stockist anywhere near me. Still looking for a decent supplier though.i
    I'm not a supplier Timbo but I might be able to help you out with a few from what I have left. I've still got some old cast blanks in all shapes and sizes so PM me if you're stuck. I could have a look through what I've got over Easter once I know the size

Thread Information