Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique climax padlock?

I found a old looking climax padlock while using my boyfriends metal detector. I have looked all around the Internet for information on it but seem to be failing. All I can find are pictures but no information on a date or specific manufacturer etc. We want to know what it may be worth though we are not really worried about selling it. Any info that you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

There was a company located in Newark NJ. that went by the name of "J.H.W Climax Co" who was a padlock & hardware manufacturer. That is probably who made your lock. I'd date it from around 1900 to about the 30's. It is thought of as a budget padlock in the realm of collectors. I see these type of "warded" padlocks at lock shows in $5, $10, or even (if it has a working key) $15 bargain boxes. One thing about old brass locks is that they hold up very well to the elements as oposed to a iron lock that if burried for the same period of time will resemble a clump of rusty dirt if dug up.

Hope this helps some

Default Antique climax padlock?

You have a warded padlock manufactured by Miller Lock Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. According to Charles Cameron's Illustrated History of the D.K. Miller Lock Co. Padlocks edited by Don Stewart, the climax trademark was registered Sept. 18, 1906. So, your padlock was probably made between 1906 and 1929. As to price, Franklin Arnall's The Padlock Collector (1988) prices it at $5.00. (Frankly, I think Arnall's prices were too low even back in 1988!)

I too at first thought of the JHW Climax company, but they are known for their Scandinavian style padlocks - not warded padlocks. I was a little confused until I found the lock in Arnall's book.

Thank you for all the information. Now my lock doesn't seem like such a mystery.

I bought the wife a Climax padlock......

They did make a brass round push key model lock that was lever.

Default Climax padlock

I have an IRON 6 lever push key padlock & key in my collection.......Donnie

DO I get any point's for that ?...............big laugh

Default D.K. Miller Co. history

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    You have a warded padlock manufactured by Miller Lock Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. According to Charles Cameron's Illustrated History of the D.K. Miller Lock Co. Padlocks edited by Don Stewart, the climax trademark was registered Sept. 18, 1906. So, your padlock was probably made between 1906 and 1929. As to price, Franklin Arnall's The Padlock Collector (1988) prices it at $5.00. (Frankly, I think Arnall's prices were too low even back in 1988!)

I too at first thought of the JHW Climax company, but they are known for their Scandinavian style padlocks - not warded padlocks. I was a little confused until I found the lock in Arnall's book.
    Scott,

Is it known how long before D. K. Miller received their 1st patent on the push-key 6 lever pancake locks were they making them and selling them to customers/companies??...............Is the above book "Illustrated history of the D. K. Miller Lock Co." available out there?

Thread Information