Dicey,

I'm glad you bought that picture and I look forward to a better scan. Note, the back of the image says it's from 1928, the Pennsylvania Trust Company in Pittsburgh (I haven't been able to find out where it was located). The date is consistent with Donsteel's "lifetime".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pennsylvania Trust Co Pittsburgh 1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	468.5 KB 
ID:	6452

Name:	Pennsylvania Trust Co Pittsburgh 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	6453
Now compare with the following picture, which is from Dollar Bank (340 Fourth Avenue, Pittsburgh) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Do..._new_vault.jpg and IIRC on was on Dollar Bank's web site as well. They claimed this was their new 1936 vault door but Donsteel wasn't being made then (you can just barely see a copper layer, or at least a color change). Unfortunately this picture is not available in a larger version.

Name:	Dollar_Bank_4th_Avenue,_Pittsburgh_-_new_vault.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	6451

Compare the two images. The ramps, the floor, even the Persian rugs are similar. Of course the two doors are of diferent thickness and other details differ, but I believe both pictures are from the same bank, but that's not possible. Either Dollar Bank's information is all wrong, or the notes on the back of the picture you purchased are wrong (or both, I suppose!).

You are now officially part of a minor mystery!