Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

In those images you posted, I'm not convinced that the patent date on the knob has worn off. It doesn't look that worn, and the other text is in fair condition. I'd speculate that this specimen was manufactured before the patent was granted.

I also noticed that the "NINE" was partially obliterated on the back, not the best-planned layout!

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    In those images you posted, I'm not convinced that the patent date on the knob has worn off. It doesn't look that worn, and the other text is in fair condition. I'd speculate that this specimen was manufactured before the patent was granted.

I also noticed that the "NINE" was partially obliterated on the back, not the best-planned layout!
    So you're thinking the pictured lock could have been before the patent, and my lock after the patent?
    I was just guessing about it being worn because my outside knob writing is completely readable. But in the center, PAT. 18 02 is all that's left. Mar and 19 is gone. Even the "PAT 18 02" that is there is weak. Mine is the same way on the back. "NIN" is all you can make out. The "E" is just a blob, worse than the one pictured.

He stated that he got those pictures online and the ones he posted are not pictures of his actual lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Riyame View Post
    He stated that he got those pictures online and the ones he posted are not pictures of his actual lock.
    I realize that, and stated my suspicion with that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Hi, is your lock body round with 18 clicks & a small number on the bottom rear of the case?
    I am unsure of what lock you are working on... can you provide a photo front & rear?
    Donnie
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what does 18 clicks refer to? And how do I tell if mine has 18 clicks? Any number of clicks to the right, 1-10, will take the same number of clicks to get back to the left stop. But once I go 11 clicks to the right, it will only take 4 clicks to get back to the left stop. Then it continues to grow, 1 more click to the left for every additional click to the right. Until you reach 10 clicks to the left again. In other words, no matter how many right clicks, it will never take more than 10 clicks to get back to the left stop. Does this perhaps mean it is a 10 click?? No?? Again, please excuse my ignorance!

Quote Originally Posted by Junker View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what does 18 clicks refer to? And how do I tell if mine has 18 clicks? Any number of clicks to the right, 1-10, will take the same number of clicks to get back to the left stop. But once I go 11 clicks to the right, it will only take 4 clicks to get back to the left stop. Then it continues to grow, 1 more click to the left for every additional click to the right. Until you reach 10 clicks to the left again. In other words, no matter how many right clicks, it will never take more than 10 clicks to get back to the left stop. Does this perhaps mean it is a 10 click?? No?? Again, please excuse my ignorance!
    It does not mean that. The way these locks work is not similar to a standard combination lock with multiple wheels. These locks have a single wheel that has projections on it that form a sort of maze. Once the lever inside goes through part of the maze it can go further in a given direction than it could have before. So, it is entirely possible to go 10 clicks from the stop and then go back more than that. The only thing that would stop that would be an incorrect combination for the first number of clicks that wouldn't allow the lever to fall into another part of the maze.

That is a rather simplified description of the mechanism, but explains how there can be differnt and at times greater numbers of clicks in different directions.
    BBE.

Default Miller Keyless Lock Pictures

Ok Guys. Finally, my pictures. Here are 5 pictures of my lock. The third picture is what's left of the patent date on the knob (March 18, 1902). The fourth picture is of the number on the shackle, which appears to me to be 5503. It is a little pitted in this area, so it's kind of hard to be certain. I included the fifth picture with the web address here and my user name just for a little proof that this is a picture of my lock. Let me know what y'all think!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	6960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	6961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	6962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	6963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	6964

That is a nice lock, and not very common at all as far as I know.

I GOT IT OPEN!!!!!! Thanks to everyone who offered help and a SUPER thank you to BBE! It was your explanation of how these things work that got my thinking on the right track, which eventually led to my deciphering the combination. Thank you wylk for your continued input. I ended up googling the patent number and found a written explanation of how it worked to go along with the pictures. This was a huge help as well! I'm so relieved to have it operational now!! Please keep any new info on the lock coming.

If your lock is indeed like the one you found images for, congratulations, it's a very early model. It looks a lot like US patent 863,868:

Attachment 6911

That patent was filed December 7, 1904, and granted August 20, 1907. So the lock could be said to be from the early 1900s. The "NO NINE" on the back is interesting because I hadn't run across that particular model number before. The company started in 1888 making door locks; this is their first patent for a padlock.

Looking forward to pictures of your lock.
    After closer examination, I don't believe this is patent 863,868. It is definitely very similar, and the closest patent I can find. But still not exact. I have a link below to the patent 863,868. Notice screws 50 and 51, easiest seen in Fig. 2, on the back side of the lock. My lock does not have these. It does however have screw #49 (seen easiest in hole 10 in Fig.4), found under the shackle, once the lock is opened. This does match patent 863,868. What does all this mean? Could this be a prototype or something? And if so, what would that mean in terms of rarity and value??
    http://www.google.com/patents/US863868.pdf

Thread Information