Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S & G Lock

Default S & G Lock

I am looking for a antique S&G roller bolt lock for a J&J Taylor safe I am restoring. The missing lock - footprint indicates it is bigger than the standard S&G. Thanks John

John, S&G made several different roller bolt models, all larger than standard. Can you post a couple pictures? And the footprint dimensions. Cast iron cases were used for fire safes and bronze for burglary chests. Since Taylor was an early user of S&G, some of these locks are hard to find find and pretty pricey. At minimum, I should be able to ID which lock you need and post a picture of it. Doug

Default S & G Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    John, S&G made several different roller bolt models, all larger than standard. Can you post a couple pictures? And the footprint dimensions. Cast iron cases were used for fire safes and bronze for burglary chests. Since Taylor was an early user of S&G, some of these locks are hard to find find and pretty pricey. At minimum, I should be able to ID which lock you need and post a picture of it. Doug
    Thanks Doug for the response. After dismanteling and meashuring the door I now think J&J Taylor made the opening in the bolt work so large so they could install ethor a dial lock or a time lock their is also a 45 degree bevel on the left horazantle bolt plate posibly for a hinged time lock door. This is a small bankers safe. The dimentions of the three bolt holes is 5 5/8'' 3 3/4'' 3 1/4'' the spindle bore is pretty high it is above the center of the pattern. I have a nice S&G brass roller bolt that will work its housing dimentions are 4 3/8'' by 3 3/16''. The hole in the picture on the right is the bolt lever hole.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB270028.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	6369 If you have any ideas please let me know. John

john, can you post a good close up pic with the boltwork laid in place on the door and another pic with your lock and the boltwork on the door? Doug

Default J & J Taylor main door .

john, can you post a good close up pic with the boltwork laid in place on the door and another pic with your lock and the boltwork on the door? Doug
    This is the mail door - bolts out and in with the S&G I plan to use if nothing better is available. The lock is precisely located for the dial spindle. The origanal holes are Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock on door 2.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	6382just visable below the lock housing filled with white body filler.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock on door 2.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	6382

Default J & J Taylor safe

Doud this is a better picture showing both bolt patterns.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA280068.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	938.5 KB 
ID:	6383 Thanks

John, here is a No.2 Magnetic and a No2 Automatic, both of which are larger than your lock. Catalog shows both of these were 6-3/8" x 4-5/8". However you will also notice that both of these need more room at the top than at the bottom. There was another model like yours in a larger case 5-3/8" x 3-5/8" called simply a No. 4 burglar chest lock. All these locks will be hard to find and expensive, especially the Magnetics and Automatics. i see you posted another pic. I will check out now. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1037.jpg   DSCN1036.jpg   IMG_2576.JPG   IMG_2578.JPG  

I hope you realize having that chest up on that dolly is pretty risky. Please be careful. The chest probably weighs as much as a small car. Doug

Default Taylor safe on stand

You are right the safe weighs 1900lb complete. I have restored antique safes for many years, mostly bankers safes and I use a over head chain hoist to place them on the platform and check them fore stability before I remove the hoist sling. I came to the same conclusion that a Sargent automatic or magnetic would not fit so the extra room in the bolt work must have been for a time lock. I think the S & G I have on it is the same lock it would have come with. Thanks

John, your lock looks too small to have been the original and it is highly unlikely a time lock was installed. Unless S&G made a special for Taylor I would say the No. 4 model would be it. Can you post some pictures of other safes you've done? Doug

Thread Information